Thursday, March 24, 2016

Tammy's Second Quilt


I am happy to say that the quilting of Tammy's second quit went much better than her first one four years ago.  This is due in part to a better quality minky and the Hobbs 80/20 batting which acts as a stabilizer for the minky.  The minky on her first quilt was much more stretchy and the thin polyester batting did not stabilize it.  Basting the quilt with my basting spray also helped a lot.


This time I attached the ric rac while quilting instead of having her sew it on.  It is much easier to add it with a free motion quilting foot than a regular presser foot because I didn't have to turn the quilt with every curve.


It is hard to tell from the picture above, but I set up my Tiara in my mother's basement for the quilting of this quilt.  It was a really tight fit in my sewing space at the bottom of her stairs, but so worth it.  I was really missing my own quilting machine.


After quilting the quilt, I squared it up and added a traditional machine binding in blue.


I love how the quilting looks on the minky backing.


I also love how the ric rac puffed up a little bit because of the quilting.


The ric rac looks really neat on the backing.  I outlined some of the butterflies in the center stripe and love how it turned out.


Tammy was very pleased with this finished quilt.


She made it to coordinate with her first quilt because that butterfly fabric is the dust ruffle on the baby crib.


I hope this quilt is loved by her new granddaughter as much as the first.

XX,
Jasmine

8 comments:

  1. You really have this minky thing down good!! Great texture and love how you outlined some of the butterflies-the perfect thing to do :-) Love seeing the ric rac on the minky side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you did a minky quilt at this time because I am just about to do one. I was wondering if I should use batting or not. Now I have my answer. Thanks! By the way, your quilting looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The large Ric Rak makes for the perfect addition to the tops. I'm currently planning to use some and will sew mine down the same way...thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome! I love how coordinated they are without being identical. And how fun to see how your skills have grown over the years. I'm sure it will be well loved. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful quilt. Your quilting really does look lovely in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful job, Jasmine. I love the fabrics and how you did the rich rac!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those two quilts are sibling quilts for siblings. Perfectly matched.
    Note to Self - Add ric rac and Minky to my shopping list :-)
    Hugs,
    Preeti.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!