Three years ago I started a hand applique project inspired by the 365 quilts I loved. Before going on a road trip I traced four inch circles onto iron-on interfacing, sewed the circles to sixteen scraps, turned them right side out, and ironed them onto gray squares. Even though we were in the car for several hours, I only hand sewed three and a half around the edge. I realized I didn't like doing it.
I thought about the project for a couple years and wondered if I should change my methods. I had machine appliqued some circles at a retreat a few years ago using a blind hem stitch. Machine applique is so much faster!
I decided that appliqueing the circles by machine was a much better idea. Then I could work on my only UFO. I pulled out the circles I had started and all the five inch scraps I had. Then I placed them on my design wall. There were 93 different fabrics.
It wasn't nearly enough for a lap quilt. So I cut into my stash for more variety. This is definitely a case where the scraps were multiplying. There was now 140 different fabrics.
I worked on one color at a time for a little while. Pink and purple were my first choice. Even with only working on it for twenty to thirty minutes at a time things got done.
But I didn't like them all in rows. So I played with the layout.
Much better. I ended up preparing the rest of the circles. This could be done out of the craft room while watching the kids.
Things went much faster after that. (This layout was inspired by Kelly's Shattered Rainbow scrap quilt.)
I totally loved it, but did't feel like piecing all the blocks together in little spurts of time. So it is now sitting in a box, stacked in columns, and waiting some more.