Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Halloween Quilt in Progress
I have made some good progress on my Halloween quilt which is my October goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes. I decided to keep it simple. I cut apart the panel of Jeepers Creepers made by Henry Glass last year and tested it out with the companion spider print for borders.
I like how the gray tones down the orange, yellow and green, but I thought it needed something between the orange border and gray spiders. So I decided to add a narrow black border.
As a side note, I just have to say that this is why I love my LQS. I realized to sew the borders without piecing one of the sides I would need 37 inches and I only purchased one yard during the after Halloween sale. They gave me more than 38 inches! And I had enough. :)
I worked on it some more today and was able to finish the top. Here it is finishing at 40 x 44 inches:
I plan on binding it in black to give it a nice frame. The backing will be a combination of the yellow and green polka dots and the candy corn from the top picture. I still need to decide on that.
And here is my sneaky sewing update... Panda's quilt top is finished!
I will post more about the inspiration behind it later.
Plus, I have already made two more draw string bags from Jeni's tutorial. These were made with the dimensions she gives in her free tutorial. One is for my niece A who just turned six, and the other is for me. :)
My husband was surprised that I made two when only one was needed. I told him that it was just to use up the rest of the fabric and not create scraps. ;)
My boys are still deciding what fabric they want for their bags and I am still deciding on how big to make theirs.
P.S. I am linking up with Let's Bee Social and Needle and Thread Thursday. (Buttons on sidebar.)