Tuesday, March 19, 2019
I was able to put together a green table runner to use this month. It was all from stash except for the backing. I quilted it with an open leaf design on my domestic sewing machine.
You can see the leaves a little better on the backing. (Although the backing is brighter than it appears in the pictures.)
I'm so pleased with how it turned out.
I love how it looks with my March mantle.
I don't know if I have mentioned it or not, but making quilted seasonal decorations becomes addicting. ;)
Tuesday, March 12, 2019
As you know, my family absolutely loves minky. Actually, that is probably an understatement. Even our puppy, Oreo, has his own minky blanket or two. He needs one while the other is being washed, right?
The striped minky blanket shown above is the one I originally made for my husband. Evidently, 60 x 84 inches isn't big enough. He wanted one even bigger. Big enough for our queen size bed.
I bought over three yards of 90 inch wide minky for the back, and two 90 inch pieces of 60 inch wide minky for the stripes. The backing was loaded onto the longarm and it was pieced using the channel locks.
Piecing this on the longarm was definitely the way to go. It sewed together in less time than it took to cut it out or vacuum up all of the minky fluff.
Once it was off the longarm, I trimmed the edges and bound it in the leftover backing minky. While it is usually folded at the foot of our bed, it does look pretty as a bedspread. It finishes about 90 by 106 inches.
I'm sure it is only a matter of time before my children ask for minky bedspreads.
Thursday, March 7, 2019
I am thrilled that my Half Square Triangle Sampler quilt is finally finished. If I am being honest, I would say that I started it three years ago while sewing in my mom's basement. For some reason this quilt was hard for me to finish. I sewed the HST by sewing around all four sides of a square and cutting an X through the square. First I put it aside because I had to square up every 2.5 inch finished HST. Then I put it aside because all the HST were on the bias . One thing led to another and I finally finished it. Perfect isn't flawless, perfect is finished. Right?
I quilted it on my Tiara with large flowers. It was the first time I had used the Tiara in 10 months. It deserved some attention.
Bunny tested it out for me right after it was quilted.
The binding was sewn to the top, clipped, then stitched to the back by hand.
It is the same binding as the original quilt this was the leftovers from.
It is also the same backing as Dancing Daisies.
Dancing Daisies, with blocks hand pieced, actually took less time start to finish than this one
From a plan...
To a reality...
I'm so glad it is finished. This one will hang upstairs on the landing for the month of April, or in my studio whenever I feel like it.
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
This is my Falling Leaves quilt which will hang by my stairs for the month of November. I drafted this quilt over a year ago. It feels good to have it made. Maybe sometime I can make the other two I planned at the same time.
My quilt was heavily inspired by this beautiful quilt made by Carla at Grace and Favor. Hers is a queen size quilt with mostly large leaves. Mine is a wall hanging (finishing at 34 by 46 inches) with six inch leaves. Many of the leaf fabrics were scraps from other projects, so I used the Easy Angle Ruler to make the HST out of 2.5 inch strips.
I pieced it in November 2018, but it sat on my design wall like this for awhile. There were too many leaves facing the bottom right. A couple months later I finally rotated one of the leaves.
I liked it a lot better that way. After the unpicking and re-sewing was done, it was easy to get it on the longarm to quilt.
I quilted it with spirals because that feels like wind to me.
My favorite part of the quilt is the binding which mimics the changing colors of the leaves. That was my own design decision. Carla's quilt has the same binding as her background.
I pressed the binding away from the quilt before stitching it to the back by hand.
The backing is a cute print which contains many of the colors of the leaves and binding.
I'm so excited to hang it up this year, but for now I have been enjoying it in my studio.