Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Things That Go: A Super Sneaky and Fast Finish


I am thrilled to say that I have already finished my November goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes (Link #29).  It is my second to last super sneaky sewing project for Christmas this year. Once I got the HST trimmed and laid out, it went really fast--less than two days!  I will admit that the top was done when I posted yesterday, but it wasn't finished until today.  ;)  It was hard to stop sewing to blog about my goal.   


Monkey's love of trucks and orange was the inspiration for this quilt.  And my husband helped me come up with the name which was inspired by the minky backing and a favorite book. 


We can see Cars, Trucks, and Things that Go (book by Richard Scarry) so we decided to call it "Things That Go!" 

I was actually able to sew the quilt top while Monkey was in the room with me.  He wasn't that interested.  But he once caught a glimpse of the backing when I was showing a friend and said, "That's mine."  So there was some nap time and late night sewing involved so he wouldn't catch another glimpse of the backing.  Plus some nap time photography and blogging.  I had to bribe Panda to stay in his room so I could take pictures during nap time. I took them as quickly as possible, because I didn't know if he would change his mind.


I quilted it simply by stitching in the ditch around the chevrons.  It is super soft and snugly.


I bound it in a cute green made by Northcott.  I love this circle print.  I did include an orange corner label, but didn't take a picture of it. 


It feels incredible to be this close to my goal. 


Quilt Stats #117
Name: Things That Go!
Pattern: Chevron made with HST finishing at 6 inches
Fabric: From my LQS and Kona White
Amount Used: 7 yards
Batting: Warm and White
Size: About 60 x 72 inches
Date Finished: November 2014
What I Learned:
  • Pinning the points on the chevron was not optional.
  • Trimming the HST took longer than piecing the top.
 Maybe I can finish Cheetah's quilt this week too.  I had no idea I could finish this one so quickly.  I am really looking forward to some not so sneaky sewing.
XX,
Jasmine
P.S.  I will be linking up with Let's Bee Social, Needle and Thread Thursday, and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop (Links on Sidebar).  Plus I will be linking up for Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts

P.P.S.  I am also linking up with Jennie of Porch Swing Quilts for her Santa's Sweatshop linky party.

23 comments:

  1. Jasmine, this is an awesome quilt! The backing is too cute!! I love how you and your husband came up with the name for the quilt - and it fits perfectly.

    Your chevrons look perfect! "Pinning the points on the chevron was not optional" - made me laugh a little and this is good to know. I am going to do a chevron at some point and I'll take your advice :)

    You are really sewing up a storm and getting very good at this sneaky sewing stuff :) What a wonderful feeling to be so close to having them all done already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt! This is very cute and I am sure this will make monkey very happy! I just love what you said about the pinning... What can I say...I am a pinner.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love those colors together! Great pattern and great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I can't believe you already reached your November goal. The quilt is adorable and I know will be well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow!! Fall comes and goes way too fast!! Just love this quilt. I love the contrast of the fun, playful back with the simple chevron front.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun quilt! I love the colors and the backing....and the name is perfect. You are so great at sneaky sewing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, am bee-ing social! This is so darling. The colors are wonderful. He will love this quilt for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a vibrant and happy quilt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finish! I really love the colors in this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors and chevrons are always one of my favorite pattern. Great finish

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy and bright!! Great finish

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quilt with a great name! Sure glad you fessed up and told us you had it pieced yesterday!!! I thought you were a major speed demon and stayed up all night, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Richard Scarry's books, and the name of the quilt is great! You are so close to being done with all your sneaky sewing, and I am so excited for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!!! Look at you!!! SPEEDY FAST! Love this finish, Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the colour combo - that green is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how colorful this quilt is. Your little one will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, yes! This is going to be a hit on Christmas morning! Love the bright, fun colours. And that minky backing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Trimming HSTs does take forever but I'm usually thankful that I did in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a fun colorful quilt. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are amazing! Love the colors! The backing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jasmine -
    This quilt makes me super happy when I look at it. I know you referenced richard scary, but it made me think of Put me in the Zoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna! It is such a cheerful quilt. And the book you mentioned is darling!

      Delete
  22. A lovely finish! so bright & cheerful, he'll be very happy with it! Linda

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!