Friday, February 7, 2014

Night and Day: Another Blue Finish


I thought that I would be working on a new red quilt this week.  However, when I heard one of my uncles was having some health challenges, I decided to make him a quilt.  Blue seemed the perfect color for him. 

I used up the last of my ten inch squares that I cut at the beginning of January.  I had the exact number of lights and darks which I needed to make this quilt without cutting into the stash.  I can't believe all of the quilts I have been able to make out of my blue fabrics.  I told my husband that it reminded me of the miracle of the "Loaves and the Fishes."  (It is a bit of a running joke in my husband's family that dishes seem to multiply and we always talk about the Loaves and the Dishes.)

I talked more about the piecing of the top and backing in this post this morning.  I had no idea that I would be able to finish the quilting and binding so quickly.  All I have to do now is add the label and wash it, so I can gift it to my uncle. 

This quilt turned out even better than I expected, and I can see myself doing more hourglass blocks in the future. 


I have decided to call this quilt "Night and Day" because of the dark and light blues.  This block especially reminds me of the a midnight sky and a noon sky.  Cool, huh?

I quilted with a large stipple in a light blue over the blocks and a navy blue over the dark border.  I used the walking foot to get a clean line with the narrow stop border.  I avoided quilting over the eight-point intersections. 


I pieced the backing with fabrics I had in my stash.  I love how it turned out, and Cheetah first thought it was weird.  Then he said, "Oh, it's like a flag."  He cracks me up.  Lol.


Here is a close-up of the backing. 


I bound the quilt in a solid navy blue, and stitched it to the top by machine.  I have heard a lot of people say that it is stronger than doing it by hand.  It is my hope that my uncle will use this quilt and it will need to be washed again and again. 


Here it is in all its glory.  :o)

All of the fabric came from my stash except for the border and binding, for which I traded with my mom.  No increase in my stash yardage.  ;)  I continue to be amazed at what I can make with what I have. 

Quilt Stats #88
Name:  Night and Day
Pattern:  Hourglass (tutorials here and here)
Fabric:  Blues from my stash
Amount used:  8 yards
Batting:  Hobbs 80/20
Size:  about 61 x 70 inches
Date finished:  February 2014
What I learned:
  • There are eight points where every block meets in an hourglass quilt. 
  • I had to let go of perfection. 
  • I love the way the lights and darks play together in an hourglass quilt. 
Hopefully, I can now work on my red quilt...

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I am linking up with Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts. 

5 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I am so inspired by what you accomplish. This one is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely work - blue is my favourite colour, so I am loving what you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful blue quilt!! :) I just ordered the fabric for what will be my first! This quilt turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great finish Jasmine! And for a great cause ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to have this quilt in your Uncle's time of need! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!