Monday, May 16, 2016

My New Cutting Table


My sweet husband just built me this awesome new cutting table.  I have dreamed of a cutting table like this ever since I saw Deb's from A Simple Life Quilts.  The base is two Ikea Kallax units.  The top is a melamine coated board that measures 4 feet by 6 feet.  I found the cutting mat at my LQS and it is 40 inches by 72 inches.  I am loving my new cutting table.

I thought I would share a few pictures of the process in case anyone else is interested in how he did it.
First, he put the two Kallax units together following the Ikea instructions.  I decided that I wanted them back to back, so he added some metal strips to the bottom to hold them together.  We purchased two sets of 200 pound capacity casters.  The four corner casters are locking and the four side casters are regular.


Here is the same view after we tipped the unit on its side.


We also added two straps to the inside of the top to hold it together better.


It took four of us to lift the unit onto its wheels without breaking them.  Then we added a 3/4 inch thick board coated on both sides with melamine.  He purchased the board at Lowe's and it came 4 feet by 8 feet.  I had him cut it down to 73 inches long.  To protect the melamine as much as possible, he put down painter's tape all the way around where he was going to cut it.  (Sorry I didn't take a picture of that.)


We used some of my quilting rulers to center the board over the Kallax units.  There is about a nine inch overhang all of the way around.


Then my husband added fourteen screws to attach the board.  He pre-drilled the hole for each screw.


Monkey was a great help with the drill.



We purchased some 3/4 inch melamine edging to add to the sides of the table.


It ironed on quite nicely.


I plan on adding some white caulk to clean up the edge a little bit.

Here it is filled and ready for cutting.


I love my new cutting table!  All of my fabric and projects fit on one side, but I still have more organizing to do.

What is your dream cutting table?

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar.  Check them out for more quilty inspiration.

28 comments:

  1. That looks like an amazing cutting table, Jasmine! And storage too, how convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great, large cutting space! I think that might be my dream cutting table, but I don't think I'm likely to ever have the room for it. :) I'll just live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one great cutting table! Thanks for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an awesome table! I just gave up mine - it just collected clutter, and I'm cutting on the kitchen table. I'm disciplined enough to clean off the table nightly...usually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful!! ENJOY! (Ps...if you can't find monkey one day, I bet he's hiding in one of those cubbies!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had room for a big cutting table like that. I'm really happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cutting table is awesome! I would love that but am thankful just to have my own room. You will have so much fun with it! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is pretty much my dream one right there! But I'd need a larger room first-hmmm probably not gonna happen! I was already thinking of what I would put in there before I saw your pic with it loaded!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful.....love those handy husbands. Love mine and know you will love the space.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I had the room, this table would definitely be my dream cutting table. Maybe I need TWO sewing rooms - one for cutting, ironing and one for piecing and designing! :) Love your new table and your new space. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so awesome! I'd love a bigger cutting table. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so excited for you, Jasmine! This new room is really coming together. The cutting table is amazing. Love the storage and that this table can be rolled whenever you want to move it or clean underneath. But the best part is that large cutting mat! Thank goodness for handy husbands and helpful monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know what I love more - the new table or the shots of men at work. :-p
    Hugs,
    Preeti.
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great table!! Better hang on to that hubby. :-) I'm fortunate to have a table top that accomodates the large cutting mat (33x56) but if I had the top the size of yours, I wouldn't be able to get into the room. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great!! I'm just a teensy bit envious that you have the space for something this size! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! Fantastic! I love seeing how people use IKEA pieces. This table is a dream! So lucky to have the space for this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! That's a great cutting table. I would love something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ikea is so great. Love your new cutting table! Such an awesome size :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hubby is so supportive of your quilting! Love the concentration on his face when drilling ... bless him. Have fun with your new table; it's wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that is just wonderfully large and has so much storage! What a great addition to your new sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My dream cutting table is this one! Right now I have two of my cupboards back to back with a 4X4' piece of MDF on top. It's temporary, so I am saving this post and I've already showed my MacGyver for when he builds me my sewing room. Love seeing happy Monkey in there with you guys. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so great - thank you for posting the process. Is it tall enough? That's my biggest beef - I want something tall enough. I'm no Julia Child, but I don't like hunching over.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing! Its fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read your blog on daily basis. This is really great and informative post. Thanks for sharing.
    Cutting Table

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! Thank you for the step by step information. It looks great!! What's the height of the table? I need to make a craft table 36" in height.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!