Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Red Strings in Progress


I was finally able to get working on my red strings project.  My husband took the older boys to see the new Lego Movie, and Monkey was taking his nap.  This is turning out even better than I thought it would. 

I started by sewing the red strings into sets according to length (whole width of fabric, half width of fabric, and smaller).  I first sewed strips of twos, then fours, then eights.  This is what it looked like on my design wall. 


I realized that I really enjoy the mindlessness of strip piecing.  Once they were in these sets ranging from 11-14 inches wide, I cut them into 5 inch pieces for two stacked coins quilts.  Then I sewed those sections together to get long strips. 

This large wall hanging is for my sister-in-law L. 


This large lap quilt will be for my home.  (That sounds nicer than saying it is for me, right?)


I was amazed at how fast these went together.  After the strips were sewn, I trimmed them down to approximately 47 and 71 inches.  I got all this done on Saturday.  :D

Then I tried out some sashing strips. 


I loved the warm marble cream print, and even had enough for both quilts. 

On Monday I was able to get the small quilt top finished. 


I used Amanda Jean's stacked coins tutorial for most of the dimensions on this wall hanging.  The sashing and borders are cut 3.5 inches wide. 

This morning I was able to do the last four seams to finish this quilt top. 


I cut the sashing strips at 2.5 inches wide, and the borders are cut at 5 inches wide.  This uneven stacked coins quilt was somewhat inspired by this scrappy quilt machine quilted by Natalia Bonner

I even had enough strings left over from the two quilts to make a table runner which is about 15 x 45 inches. 


 The table runner and small quilt look so good together.  Especially with my early Valentine's gift from my husband. 


 I will be sure to tell my sister-in-law that if she doesn't like the quilt she can just give it back.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.  (But I don't really need two quilts that are almost identical, and I know she loves the fabric.)  Lol.

I am thinking about calling the large quilt "Rich in Love" or something like that.  I am not sure what to call the little one.  Any suggestions?

I am excited to get these finished up, hopefully this week.  However, I may need to take a break to piece a floral quilt for the women in my ward to tie. 

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts. 

9 comments:

  1. That looks great! I love all the reds together and with the cream it so pretty. I have lots of those cream colored fabrics in my stash too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the reds! I wouldn't have wanted to give any part of that away! lol Maybe she will give it back. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly have a lovely range of reds to work from. All those strips look great together! The quilt top and runner look great in your display - especially with the reflection from the mirror in your cabinet. What a sweet gift from your sweetheart! Those roses are beautiful! Yes, love is certainly in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So richly saturated in rosey red! I would call it Roses are Red if it were mine. Obviously, it is not mine! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful, really like the matching quilt, runner and roses, LOL And I think we have the same table and chair set!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely reds! Perfect for Valentines :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The table runner and the wall-hanging look perfect together. I'm a sucker for big quilts, so if you need someone to help you out and take it off your hands... No? Ah well, worth a try. ;) Nice work! How many strings did it take to make the large size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I would answer here, too... Just in case any one else wanted to know. My strings ranged from 1.5 to 2.5 inches. I sewed them in sets of eight. Those sets ranged from 11-14 inches wide. Then I cut them into 5 inch segments. I could get eight 5 inch segments for every WOF set. Each column on my big quilt took six segments. So, it needed six sets. Totaling 48 WOF strings.

      Delete
  8. You have such a nice range of reds... Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than three days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!