Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Elk in the Woods: An Older Finish

I was right that I wouldn't have time to quilt during Spring Break, so I thought I would post about a slightly older finish.  :D 


I finished this quilt in January, but I didn't want to blog about it until after someone's birthday.  I call it "Elk in the Woods" and gave it to my sweet husband for his birthday.  He was really surprised, and wondered where I got the fabric.  ;)


[Panda loved the little quilt (coaster) that came with it, but Monkey was more interested in helping daddy open the next present!]

The fabric is a Riley Blake and actually came from the scraps of these two quilts which I made for the grandfathers last year.  It was their Father's Day/Birthday gifts last year. 


The only thing I had to purchase was the backing.  It is a Thimbleberries print. 



I think it is so funny that I could surprise my husband, because I know he saw me cutting out the fabric once or twice, and it did hang on my design wall at one time.  Sometimes I am glad he is a little forgetful. 


I cut out all of the squares at 3 inches except for three which I cut out at 5.5 inches.  I kept three big elk in the quilt.  I was careful when fussy cutting out the elk fabric, because I didn't want any squares with just elk behinds.  Having three boys, I did not want to go there.  Lol. 


I really like the way it turned out and my husband loves it.  He plans on hanging it in his office at work.  What a sweety! 

I had four left over 3 inch squares, so I used them to make a little coaster.  Panda thinks it is so cool and likes to use it to rub his face.  He told me that his Pooh Bear now needs a little quilt. 


Quilt Stats #84
Name:  Elk in the Woods
Pattern:  My own scrappy design
Fabric:  Riley Blake and Thimbleberries
Amount used: 2 yards of fabric
Batting:  Warm and White
Size:  about 25 x 30 inches
Date finished: January 2014
What I learned:
  • I love making smaller quilts with scraps that are all from one line (especially when they don't play so well with my other scraps). 
XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with Let's Bee Social and Needle and Thread Thursday.  The buttons for these fun linkys are now on my side bar. 

P.P.S.  I am also linking up with Oh Scrap at Quilting is More Fun than Housework. 

9 comments:

  1. Nice work using the leftovers and making more pretty projects. You are really moving through your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elk fabric is awesome! You must have been on vacation-I've missed your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the smile on his face says it all!! :) What a great quilt! Hope you are having great fun and adventures with your boys this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! Good call on the careful fussy cutting of the elk. I'm not sure I would have thought of that until it was too late:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I am working on my DH a little quilty gift for our 27th wedding anniversary next month. I hope that I can surprise him too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for my "much needed" daily smile. I'm still smiling about you, not wanting any elk "behinds" on the quilt. I might have missed that, as well, until it was too late. The quilt is wonderful and I'm so pleased that your husband is going to hang it somewhere special. It looks like you have a Pooh Bear quilt, to make next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a handsome wall hanging. Love the picture of all your guys with the quilt! Making the four left over pieces into a coaster was a clever idea. No butts about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed this finish so I am glad you shared it on Oh Scrap! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love pine tree fabric! How nice of your husband to want to display his quilt at work! That must mean it!'s very special to him!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!