Saturday, August 16, 2014

Believe It or Not

~But, I am making this quilt at the request of my boys!~


Back in January when I made the American Hero giant start quilt for some friends, my boys requested that I make another one for the family.  The colors they wanted:  pink and purple.  Panda added that he also wanted flowers on the back.  Sevem months later, they are absolutely thrilled that I am finally fulfilling their request. 

I am still using the giant star tutorial by Jeni Baker at In Color Order.  One big difference in the making of this quilt is that I now have a 20.5 inch Omnigrip ruler.  It has made cutting out the eighteen inch squares and squaring up the 17.5 inch HST super easy.  I love this ruler that my boys gave me for Mother's Day. 


Things have been so busy and crazy that all the sewing I have done for the last week and a half is the "blocks" for this giant star quilt. 


I plan on adding a 1.5 inch border all the way around of the cream star fabric.  Then I will add a 2.5 inch purple border to the top and bottom, and a 5 inch pink border to the top and bottom.  (These sizes are determined by the amount of fabric I have left of each color.)  It will look a lot like the American Hero quilt I made. 


I love the way it turned out with the more modern borders.  Personally, I don't like square quilts as much as rectangular ones.   Which is probably why I gave away my first giant star quilt. 


Hopefully, I can get this quilt finished soon.  I know with our crazy schedule that it may not happen for a few more weeks.  I am hoping that things settle down in September, but with two family birthdays I am not sure. 

XX,
Jasmine

13 comments:

  1. I do like that border format. I agree it looks better rectangular. I have one of those big rulers too. It doesn't get used much but when it is needed I'm certainly glad I have it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! That ruler! Awesome!! Great work on the giant stars. I just made a giant wonky star and I have to say, I love the speed of a one block quilt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That ruler is seriously awesome - great gift!! I think making large scale patterns like this can be really a lot of fun. And how wonderful the boys are still so excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great pattern. I need to get a bigger square ruler too! I agree, I don't like square quilts as much either :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when my boys show interest in quilting. I hope yours like it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The addition of the borders is a great idea! I wish I had thought of that when I made mine! Going to tuck that away for future reference :) Did you see that Jeni has another star quilt tutorial that is bigger? Haven't made it yet but it is on my list. . . for some day. . . BTW, I could not live without my big square ruler!! I use it all the time, makes life SO much easier and is great for getting corners square when squaring up a quilt after quilting!! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care for square quilts much either unless they are wall hangings. I think your new one will look great! I feel like I have been lagging in the blog dept. a lot lately :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your boys gave you a great ruler and great color suggestions for your new Giant Star project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quilt, I will have to try one. I'm not fond of square quilts either but this one looks easy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's looking great! I love the colours they've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fingers crossed you might even get them to make quilts one day, Jasmine :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know they made a 20.5" ruler. I'll be checking that out. Now, on to the quilt. It's a beauty and even more special because your boys made the request and chose the colours. They'll love it. I would!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!