I am happy to say that I have finished this floral quilt for my Sister-in-law. I ended up with one less day, because there was some confusion about when she was leaving. I was able to get it quilted, bound, labeled, and gifted all in one day. That took me five hours. She loves it and is excited to take it with her on the plane, because she always gets cold. She also looks forward to cuddling with it on the couch.
I appreciated the name suggestions I received on my post about the quilt, and combined the ideas to come up with the name, "Garden View." It feels like looking through the windows at a beautiful garden. Finishing this quilt was my August goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes (Link #55). It feels great to have it finished early.
I quilted it just like I planned in this post. The only thing I didn't specify was quilting Xs in the cornerstones. To quilt the Xs I used one of my long arm rulers. The 45 degree lines on the ruler helped a lot when lining up the ruler.
I LOVE the texture that the quilting added.
You can see the texture even more on the back. (If you look closely, you can see my label in the lower right corner.)
In fact, I may like the back more than the front.
The backing is a darling Primitive Gatherings fabric for Moda. It is a green print on a cream background. Perfect for quilting with those two colors of thread.
I still love the way the front turned out. Quilting the flowers and the squiggles was so much fun.
I bound the quilt in the Kona Crimson fabric, and I love how it pulls the reds and pinks out of the floral.
If I had that extra day, I would have bound this one by hand. But my sister-in-law loves it the way it is. Thank goodness! ;)
And here is one more picture of "Garden View" with a view of my garden.
Quilt Stats #111
Name: Garden View
Pattern: 9 inch squares with 3 inch sashing and cornerstones
Quilting Design: Flowers and a Wiggle
Fabric: From my stash and Kona Crimson
Backing: Primitive Gatherings
Amount Used: 6.5 yards
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Size: About 51 x 63inches
Date Finished: August 2014
What I Learned:
- I need to pay closer attention when cutting if I don't feel well. (I cut a whole green strip out at 9.25 inches instead of 9.5 inches. Luckily, I barely had enough to complete the sashing.)
- I made the bobbin tension slightly tighter than normal on my Tiara when quilting with the Omni thread from Superior Threads. I didn't have problems with it slipping out of the bobbin hook this time. :)
- Fussy cutting uses up a lot more fabric!
P.S. I will be linking up with Let's Bee Social, Needle and Thread Thursday, Can I Get a Whoop Whoop, (links of sidebar) and Finish it up Fridays.