Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Summer Twist: A Finished Quilt


This quilt became a fast finish, because I was making it for my sister-in-law who lives in New Hampshire.  I found out that my niece was visiting for Thanksgiving and would be happy to take it back with her saving on postage.  Sweet! 

Both Cheetah and my hubby came up with the name "Summer Twist" because it has summer roses and is a twister quilt. I made it my way by cutting ten inch squares into four equal pieces and putting them up on the design wall.

I have never been to my sister-in-law's house so I had to ask her what colors she likes and uses.  She told me that one room has denim furniture and the other room has beige furniture.  I asked her if she liked neutrals or would want an accent.  She said that they like all colors, except Kelly green.  Then she left it up for me to decide.  I thought that red would be a good accent color and went shopping. 

This is what I brought home.  It is mostly StudioE Essentials 8 and 9. The solid is Kona Black.


But when I got it up on my design wall, it looked too busy and not long enough. 


So I went back to my LQS (thank goodness their Pre-Thanksgiving Sale was extended) and bought more fabric.  Using only two of each fabric made it so I had enough for a second quilt.  So this quilt will have a twin which will live with me.  I'm thinking of calling the second, yet to be made, quilt "Twister Twin." 


I added some Kona Crimson, Robert Kauffman, and Kimberbell Designs in addition to some more StudioE.  Plus I added one more row.  It looked so much better on the design wall. 



This made me really appreciate my way for doing the twister quilt.  It was easy to add a row and change the fabrics because the pieces weren't sewn together yet.  The hardest part of this quilt for me was deciding on the layout.  As you can see it changed from the picture above to the layout below. 


I love it and will be so happy to keep its twin at my house.  ;)

I quilted it with a pointy spiral because the twister blocks always remind me of pinwheels.

 
I added one of my corner labels (not pictured) and bound it in Kona Black like the border. 


I put one of the leafy prints from Essentials 9 on the back. 


I took this quilt to show my mom because she also bought some of the same fabrics to make a quilt.  My dad saw it all folded up with the backing showing and said, "That is striking." 


Turns out my dad like the top even more.  I hope my sister-in-law feels the same way. 


Quilt Stats #119
Name: Summer Twist
Pattern: Twister quilt from 10 inch squares made my way
Fabric: Mostly StudioE Essentials 8 & 9 and Kona Black
Amount Used: 6.5 yards
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Size: About 53 x 70 inches
Date Finished: November 2014
What I Learned:
  • Multi-color prints need some one color prints to balance them out. 
  • I like adding fabrics from another line.
  • I love my way for doing the twister. 
I also finished up the gifts for my two nieces who live in New Hampshire.  I told S that she couldn't peek at her gift until Christmas.  I wrapped the pillow cases in large mailing envelopes, hoping they would be easy for her to pack. 


Pillow cases and lap quilts make great gifts! 
XX,
Jasmine
P.S.  I will be linking up with Let's Bee Social, Can I Get a Whoop Whoop, and Finish it up Friday
P.P.S.  Congratulations for Vicki who won the Halloween panel and candy corn fabric from my last post. 

P.P.P.S.  I am also linking up with Jennie of Porch Swing Quilts for her Santa's Sweatshop linky party  (Twice-quilt and pillows).

22 comments:

  1. Love your quilt - the colors and the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt came out just perfect adding in those extra's! Super gorgeous fabrics, love that backing too. Thanks for the Halloween winning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this one! I had seen some of these fabrics in the stores and they are so pretty. Love the additional ones you added in. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the idea of the twin quilts in different places - the colours are fabulous in this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the red, black and white combo! I haven't made a twister quilt yet, but I love looking at them. Maybe 2015 will be the year I actually make one, and I'll be using your method for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous gifts. I agree with your dad - the quilt is very striking. Black, white, and red together just really sing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really great... wonderful gifts. The gifted people will be very glad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoy making things for my loved ones.

      Delete
  8. Quilt is gorgeous - I do like the changes you made in the final version. And, as usual, your quilting is amazing. Great job Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great finish Jasmine! I love seeing the close ups of your quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dad was right. Summer Twist is absolutely gorgeous! I love your method for making the twister. I will have to try it one of these days.... Soon! Thanks so much for sharing your method, Jasmine. And congratulations on another fabulous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These colors together are great! The spiral quilting design is perfect for the layout. Your SIL is sure to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jasmine, this one turned out awesome! So interesting how the entire top changed when you added the 'calmer' fabrics. Your choice of quilting designs is perfect for this top! Your SIL is going to be SO happy when she gets this quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a gorgeous quilt! Inspiring me to have a go at making a twister quilt x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jasmine, that's very cool! I'm off to check out your method of making twister blocks now. Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilt, she is sure to treasure! Love your pillowcases too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I missed this finish while on vacation! It's one of my favorite color combos....it will be treasured!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for rejuvianting this post under our TUesday ARchives twister theme!!

      Delete
  17. Beautiful quilt - glad you were able to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely finish! I like your colour combo. That pattern is one I've always wanted to have a go at.. so it was interesting reading about your method too. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Jasmine I love the vivid colors of your twister quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is gorgeous! I love your colour choice - the contrasts.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!