Monday, March 21, 2016

Fixing a Custom Quilt


Believe it or not, but four years ago I was afraid of minky.  It was all because of this quilt.  This was pieced by Tammy, my mom's friend, and quilted by me.  You see, I used the knowledge and experience that I had and finished the edges of this quilt with the envelope method.  I had simply quilted some minky applique quilts for my mom and we had used the envelope method successfully.  However, when I quilted this one with more derail there was a big tuck on the back.


Minky does not hide tucks. at. all.  Luckily, Tammy loved how it turned out and never complained about my mistake.  I have learned a lot about minky in the last four years and have luckily moved past my fear of minky.  Yet, I felt sick inside every time I thought about this quilt.

Well, last month Tammy contacted me again.  She asked me to quilt another quilt for her second grandchild and wanted me to repair this quilt.  It is loved and used every day, causing some of the fabric and batting to wear through.  We discussed how I felt about my original mistake and she told me to not worry about it again because this quilt is so loved.  I feel so much better now and happily repaired this quilt.


This is Tammy's granddaughter's favorite corner.


The first thing I did was cut off the original edging.



Then I added a patch of batting and whip stitched it into place.


I cut a new stripe of giraffe fabric for each end and added it on top with my walking foot.


After folding the giraffe fabric over, I just quilted over the top through all the layers.


There is extra quilting which shows on the back, but it really blends in.


Then we added a traditional binding like I now do on all of my minky backed quilts.


The orange binding adds so much to the overall look of the quilt, and here is the favorite corner.



I made all of the repairs in one morning so her granddaughter wouldn't be without her quilt for one night.  While she can't find her favorite corner anymore, she is happy to have her quilt back and still sleeps with it every night.

XX,
Jasmine

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful job, Jasmine! It's great to see how a quilt can be repaired quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect finish; and to get it all done so she wasn't without it overnight? That is perfection and love. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic job on repairing it! She'll just have to find a new favorite corner, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job on the repairs, and the orange binding really finishes the quilt nicely. You made a little girl happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you approached this and it shows the quilt really is well loved and will contintue to be for a good few years yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wondered how you would fix things up, and you didn't disappoint! Well done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jasmine you are amazing -that little girl's quilt looks even better than ever! Wonderful workmanship! It's so sweet that you got it back to her so quickly too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww that is the sweetest! Your repair looks fantastic, great method, I will have to remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to fix the quilt. That little girl will think you are a magician.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazing, Jasmine. How ingenious as to how to fix this quilt. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job fixing it! I wonder if she'll find a new portion to love now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quilt Doctor? Shall I say Quilt Surgeon? It required more than stitches, it was reconstruction surgery and then some cosmetic surgery too. The best part - no scar tissue :-)
    You rock, Jasmine!!!
    Hugs,
    Preeti.
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!