Thursday, October 29, 2020

Not My UFO



Earlier this year I had no personal UFO's.  That did not mean that I didn't have any UFO's in my closet.  I did have a box of my sister-in-law JoAnn's unfinished projects.  After finishing my great grandmother's quilt, I decided to tackle some of the projects in the box.  

The first one I finished was this small Sunshine and Shadow quilt.  It is about 30 inches square.  All it needed was binding.  Why did it take me so long?  



Then I took four six inch scalloped heart blocks.  


I made a mini quilt with them which now hangs in my studio.  It is about 16 inches square.  



Then I pulled out her Americana quilt.  I added a two inch border, basted it, and quilted it on my domestic sewing machine.  


It is amazing to me how much quilting brings a quilt to life. What was once just a wonky quilt top is now pretty cute.  



JoAnn designed this Americana quilt herself and taught others how to make it when she worked at a quilt shop.  With the border it is about 34 by 38 inches.  

Then I quilted her pineapple quilt on my domestic sewing machine.  She had already marked some feathers on the blocks.  


I added some straight lines and ribbon candy to finish it up.  



The last quilt top in the box was her bargello.  I quilted it on the long arm. 


I tried to free hand the quilting and it got too wobbly. So I quilted most of it with a ruler.  


It looks so pretty all finished.  



There is a queen size quilt which only has a couple blocks sewn still in the box.  It will have to wait until I have more time.  But I'd love to finish it sometime because it is going to be beautiful.  

XX,
Jasmine

6 comments:

  1. You've gotten a lot done! With only one more to go, you'll soon have no more WIPs even if they weren't yours. It's a good time of year to clean out those closets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that is a lot to get finished up. They look great and I'm sure when the time is right you'll finish up the larger quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finishing an UFO just has that extra wonderful feeling doesn’t it, but with five of them you should be flying. They are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl!! Doesn't it feel amazing to have finished those up. Love that bargello.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are amazing! Baby must be taking some good naps for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a relief it must be to have those lovely projects out of the box, Jasmine. You did a wonderful job of finishing them!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!