Tuesday, October 27, 2020

GG's Quilt

 

When I was at my mom's picking out backing fabric for JoAnn's Garden quilt, I saw an old quilt top which was made by my Great Grandmother Dora.  She kindly gave it to me along with some fabric for the backing.  


When I laid it on the floor at home, I thought the top and bottom rows didn't add to the overall quilt.  My mom said it would be okay to unpick the top and bottom rows.  


I liked it better that way.  It made it easier to see the pattern created by the solid fabrics.  It also made the size more proportionate.  It was 60 x 96 before.  Now it is 60 x 84 inches.  

My mom probably had the quilt top for about fifty years.  She thinks the fabrics were from the 1950's and it was made in the 1960's.  It was in really good condition.  I only had to repair a couple seams which were splitting along the edge.  


I quilted it on the longarm.  I quilted it a simple stipple because the prints were so busy.  


It only took me one hour to quilt it once everything was set up.  


The backing is a cute pansy print which matches the bright yellow solid on the top.


I was able to match the print at the seam pretty closely.  


I was able to find a yellow dot print at my local quilt shop which blended so well with the top and back.  


I love seeing the finished quilt and thinking of my quilty great grandmother.  


My Great Grandma Dora died almost 40 years ago this December when I was just a baby.  What a great time to finish her quilt!  This is actually the second quilt of hers which I have finished.  The first one was just blocks.  You can see it here.  

XX,
Jasmine

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful family heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that unpicking the top and bottom rows really helped the quit a lot, Jasmine. I'm glad you were able to finish your great grandmother's quilt. Will you keep it as a family heirloom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the print matching on the back AND on finding the perfect binding fabric to blend with both sides of this special quilt. Will you make a little something with the rows that you removed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet GG is looking down from above and smiling that you finished up her quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!