We traced each shape onto the back of the fabric, then cut it out with a seam allowance. Then we sewed on the line we drew. Because it was hand sewn with curves, I got frustrated once I got home. So I put it away for a few months. Then one day I got bored and decided to give it another try. I got the hang of the curved piecing and then finished it quickly.
I added the borders with a machine and hand quilted it. I quilted in the ditch and added some detail to the leaves.
I put a cute sunflower fabric on the back. The huge hanging sleeve makes me laugh.
I did the binding by myself. (I didn't understand the concept of mitered corners).
I entered this quilt in the show that year at the Utah State Quilt Guild annual meetings. I entered it in the young quilters division and won a ribbon. Here is a picture of me showing off the quilt and ribbons. This is the only time I have entered a quilt in a show.
One last picture...
Quilt Stats ~ Mini #1
Name: Summer's Flower
Pattern: Sun Crazy by Marva
Size: 18 x 18 inches
Batting: low loft 100% polyester
Date Finished: 1995
What I Learned:
- I can do piecing by hand.
- Sewing curves is harder than it looks.
- Sometimes you need to put things away for awhile.
- Perseverance pays off