I made this simple baby/lap quilt in less than 24 hours over a two day period. One evening I sewed it together and basted it. The next morning I quilted it and bound it by machine. I finished it yesterday, but the weather has been wet and dreary so I had to take indoor pictures.
I have decided to call it, "April Showers Bring May Flowers" which is a long quilt name for me. The quilt reminded me of the sweet things that come from rain, like rainbows and flowers. As I have decided to donate it to Happy Chemo as part of the Hands2Help Challenge, I thought the name was appropriate. I hope that it can bring comfort to someone going through a rough time.
In case anyone is wondering about my dimensions... I cut out each of the five vertical strips at 8.5 inches and sewed them together. Then I trimmed off the salvages and cut 6.5 inches off of the bottom. The horizontal strip was cut out at 9.5 inches, because I started with a generous quarter yard. I added that strip in the middle and my quilt top was done!
Well, that is how I would have done it if all my strips were the full width of the fabric... My pink was six inches too short, so I took a piece off of a fat quarter for the bottom section. It was a good use of the fabric I had. I don't think it is super noticeable, but it adds an unexpected fun element. ;)
I quilted it in a cream thread with 35 big flowers connected by a loopy line. The quilting took less than an hour for this 40 x 50 inch quilt. Princess, my new sit down quilting machine, is FAST!
I used 1.5 yards of a soft yellow for the backing, and bound it with a slightly darker yellow.
I added my favorite corner label when binding it.
Quilt Stats #101
Name: April Showers Bring May Flowers
Pattern: Simple quarter yard strips
Inspired by: Quilts I have seen where the horizontal strip was appliqued with a name
Quilting design: Loopy line with flowers
Fabric: pastels from my stash.
Amount Used: 3.5 yards
Batting: Warm and White
Size: About 40 x 50 inches
Date finished: March 2014
What I learned:
- Quilting from the upper right corner to the lower left corner worked really well with my Tiara.
P.S. I am linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop.