Saturday, March 15, 2014

Race to the Sky: A Fast Finish

Another Jelly Roll Race Quilt~


I named this quilt "Race to the Sky" because it is a jelly roll race quilt with a sky border containing suns and moons. 


It really was a fast finish.  I started with the jelly roll already cut, and pieced the top in one afternoon. 


Then the next day I pieced the backing...



And then quilted it with Princess, my new Baby Lock Tiara.  I quilted it with gray thread with pointy spirals.  Which really is one of my favorite FMQ designs. 


Then the next morning I did the binding by machine.  I love this old stripe fabric. 


So this quilt was finished in less than 48 hours over a period of three days. 

I even added my favorite corner label while doing the binding.  :o)


It is a gift for my brother M.  That teal/aqua color has been his favorite color for as long as I can remember.  He actually was visiting when I was working on binding my reverse star quilt, and commented on how much he liked the sun and moon print on the backing, so I know he is just going to love this quilt.  When I asked what he would like me to make him with the fabric, he said that he would use a lap quilt.  So, I really hope this quilt will be used and loved. 


Quilt Stats #99 (How cool is that number?)
Name:  Race to the Sky
Pattern:  Jelly Roll Race (my third one)
Quilting Design:  Pointy Spirals
Fabrics:  Bright cool colors from my stash
Amount used: 8.5 yards
Batting:  Warm and White
Size:  About 62 x 76 inches
Date Finished:  March 2014
What I learned:
  • The Warm and White batting was easier to quilt with the TruStitch.
  • I can still use my DMC 50 wt. embroidery thread for quilting with princess.
  • I love the little bit of purple mixed in the the blues and teals. 
This really was a fun quilt to work on, and I can't believe how quickly it came together. 


XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. 

P.P.S.  I added another half yard to my stash today.  :o)  I am slowly but surely getting the newer cuter fabrics I like. 

7 comments:

  1. Beeee utiful. I like the concept, the colors, the borders, the binding!
    Cool!
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow another great finish! You are sewing up a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the border fabric! Well, OK, the entire quilt is awesomely blue but that border fabric is super cool :) AND we gotta love a fast finish thrown in once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl!! Way to use up stash and make something that your brother will treasure because you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 days from start to finish.......amazing. Good for you. He'll love it, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love your quilt and I'm sure your brother will love it, too : )

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!