Thursday, April 24, 2014

Sunrise, Sunset: A Finished Quilt


This week has gone by very quickly.  I have been busy with my little family, but have managed to sneak in some quilting time.  In fact, I was able to finish this quilt for my sister T.  I am excited to have it finished because it was my April goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes (Link #19). 

I decided to call it "Sunrise, Sunset"  because I love how the colors blend together and how one strip is going in the opposite direction.  (Is anyone else singing the song from Fiddler on the Roof yet?)

The design was inspired by the Strip and Flip quilt, but I made this with 4.5 inch wide strips and added borders.

Originally, I was going to quilt it like this:  (I drew the design on clear vinyl with a washable dry erase marker.)


But when I sat down to do the quilting, it really wanted to be quilted like this:


I really like how it made the strips blend together better.  I did decide to keep the quilting in the border the same. 


It was my first time quilting feathers in the border with Princess.  I like how it turned out, but I still have a lot to learn about feathers.  :)


I like how the cream framed the colors, so I decided to use it for the binding as well.  I stitched it down completely by machine. 


The backing is just the tan fabric peeking out in the picture above.  You can also see that I added my corner label again. 


I made this as a gift for my sister (so I didn't do it for the money) but I did hear that quilts are more valuable if they are labeled.  ;)


Quilt Stats #102
Name:  Sunrise, Sunset
Inspired by:  Strip and Flip Quilt
Quilting design: Spirals with hooks plus a feather border
Fabric:  from my stash
Amount Used:  7 yards
Batting: Warm and White
Size: About 58 x 72 inches
Date finished: April 2014
What I learned:
  • It is okay to change your mind about the quilting. 
  • Sometimes I like lighter bindings. 

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with A Lovely Year of Finishes, Let's Bee Social, Needle and Thread Thursday, and Can I get a Whoop Whoop.  (Links all on side bar.)  I will also be linking up with Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.   


30 comments:

  1. Love it! Your feathers look amazing, Jasmine, I really want to try these - they're very effective. I have always included a label (hadn't realised it added to their value) I think they give a quilt a personal touch. I'm sure your sister will love it, it's great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really lovely, and I think your choice of quilting was perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photograph of your quilt in the sunshine - the quilting is gorgeous and the colours are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! I really like the texture the quilting added. Your feathers look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The all over design was the perfect choice, Jasmine! Love the feathered border, too. A really sweet finish. Your sister will be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! The all over quilting really adds to the center, and your feathers look great. I always add a label too. That way people will know who made it long after the original owner is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great finish! I just made two of the strip and flip quilts for twin toddlers. I really like this with the 4.5 in strips and the border added. The swirls and curlz in the middle of the quilt really give it a wonderful textures. Your sister is going to love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky sister!! It turned out gorgeous! Have you heard of or seen the Sally Terry hooked on feathers method? They are another good one to try with no backtracking-gotta love those kinds! I really like the flipping of the skinny strip-gives it lots of character.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work! I like the all over pattern for this quilt. I am in the midst of working on a quilt right now that didn't like my original diverse quilting plan. And I think it's looking much better for a little bit of cohesion. And I did start humming the song. Ha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jasmine it's not too late to share this in this week's Tuesday Archives Borders Theme.....your quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very pretty and I think you made a good choice with your quilting. I also like your clever way of using the vinyl to draw on the quilt lines for an idea how they will look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt, Jasmine! Such a special gift for your sister, she will cherish it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh, pretty, pretty!! You did a lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh, I love the colors and design of this. Your sister is a very lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quilting! And what a neat idea to audition quilting designs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh how beautiful. I agree your quilting choice really lets the rows flow together perfectly. I love the colors!!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your final quilting choice really does add harmony to the colors- nice work on trusting your gut!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the strip and flip, and I think the quilting is perfect. You're right- it really unifies all of the strips!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilting is just beautiful. I tried the feather once before and It was terrible. It looks like the new machine is working great for you, this quilt is beautiful, Maybe I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This quilt is stunning. Your quilting is awesome. It is always nice to see a very simple pattern become a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmm Yummy! Those colors are just amazing together. I love how your quilt decided to be quilted another way - as one quilter to another... I understand ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the finish. I like the idea of auditioning the quilting with the clear vinyl, I'll be trying that one. Your feathers turned out beautifully. It certainly didn't look like your first time doing them on a border. All in all this is a wonderful quilt and I'm sure you're sister will absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also like lighter bindings on some quilts. I really enjoy seeing all your quilting. It gives me motivation to get practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. As always, Jasmine, lovely job. And I was singing that song before I even read the post! Your feathers are pretty awesome for a first timer, so keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This turned out beautifully. Great pattern and the name is perfect for it. Your quilting is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  26. well done on reaching your goal. It's a fab quilt! i think you made the right decision on the quilting, it does help bring it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Isn't that something how the mind takes over and changes what you wanted to do. It's a great quilt. I'm sure your sister is loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The photo of your finished quilt hanging on the fence shows all the lovely details so well. And your design is so simple, yet beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!