Monday, March 28, 2016

Double Batting Test


I want the quilting on my WISP to really show, so I have been contemplating using a double batting.  I decided to test it out.  This is made with a layer of Hobbs 80/20 batting and a layer of the Hobbs wool batting. This sample measures 8 inches by 14 inches.

I put it in the washer and dryer with a load of whites to see how it would look after laundering.


It now measures 7.5 by 13.5 inches, not bad shrinkage with the cotton/poly blend and the wool batting.

The back of the sample (80/20 side) looks good too.


I love how it turned out and think I will be using it in my quilt soon.

Have you ever done a double batting like this?

XX,
Jasmine

8 comments:

  1. I do like double on wall hangings :-) Can't wait to see what you are cooking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used double batting on my daughter's quilt because she gets so cold at night. I loaded and quilted it like normal. Worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only ever used double batting for a Trapunto effect under certain elements of a quilt. This turned out beautifully and I can see you having fun using it on many different projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried this. I can see where this would be useful when you want quilting to really pop. Thanks for sharing your test.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh love an experiment and this looks really good! Lots of loft and your quilting looks fab as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We seem to often be thinking alike, Jasmine. I love the way the double batting looks though for the first time, and on a customer quilt, I stuck with a double of the same batting. I just quilted my snowman wall hanging and used it again though I did not quilt it heavily. The double batting just gives a completely different effect. I plan to buy some wool and do the double batting again with the wool on top. I'm not sure how much of a difference the wool will make. Your quilt will look gorgeous! Excited to see the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use a layer of wool on top of cotton (or a blend) for most of my mini quilts and wall hangings. It's adds a nice stability and texture. I haven't done it in a larger quilt because I usually like lighter quilts than heavier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never done double batting, but it looks lovely! Very squishy and the quilitng really stands out.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!