Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Double Time: A Finished Quilt


This is yet another stash busting quilt for me.  It used up the last of this stack of fabric.


That stack of fabric was enough for six of my quilts and a quilt my niece made.  I seriously love turning stacks of fabric into quilts!  Now my old stash fits into one laundry basket sized bin.


I named this quilt, a gift for a family member, Double Time.


It uses the Double Slice Layer Cake pattern from the Missouri Star Quilt Company and has musical instruments on the back.  The instruments reminded me of time signatures and timing.  Combining the two, I cam up with Double Time.


I decided to quilt this on my little Pfaff because I can quilt so much better when I am sitting down.


I quilted it in a feathered spiral design.  It was so much fun to try something new.


It was really hard to keep the design the same size on my little machine, so I decided to purposely make them different sizes.  That made it consistently inconsistent.  Lol.


The backing fabric came from my mom's stash.  I love how it tied in the teals, blues, and the fuschias.


The binding is scrappy using some of the teal fabrics in the quilt.


I love how this quilt turned out, especially the quilting!


Quilt Stats #177
Name: Double Time
Pattern:  Double Slice Layer Cake
Fabric: From my old stash
Amount Used: 6.5 yards
Batting: Mountain Mist Polyester
Size: About 54 x 63 inches
Date Finished: February 2016
What I learned:
  • I have a lot more control and can do more intricate designs when I sit down to quilt instead of using the long arm.  
XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar.  Check them out for lots of quilty inspiration.  

15 comments:

  1. Nice finish! It's just muscle memory. You've been quilting that way for a while now. Just need practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! The colors are just sooo yummy!! And I love that you decided to be consistently inconsistent! I do that a LOT :) It is amazing that you have all of your inherited fabric down to one laundry basket! That must feel amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great finish Jasmine. Double Slice is on my list too. Your quilting is pretty as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The backing fabric blends so perfectly with the top, it almost appears you started with the backing and selected coordinating fabrics for the top! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite color combination! Your quilt is lovely and your quilting is stunning.Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt itself is just beautiful, but your quilting made it so much more!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Consistently inconsistent is the way to go!! Seriously your quilting is great and what a lovely quilt. It is certainly a different flow of quilting between a domestic machine and a longarm, but I do like the speed at which you can finish projects on the longarm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the colors. Teal and deep reds\pinks go so nicely together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilting! Impressed how you have reduced your fabric leftovers!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great name! Love the colours you put together...who knew seeing that stack of scraps would end up so pretty! I've done that feathered spiral all-over design and it is such fun and goes really fast. Ha you're channelling your inner Angela: consistently inconsistent. She says if you make a mistake, don't necessarily rip it out: repeat it somewhere else and it becomes a design element!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! I love your quilting, and consistently inconsistent is pretty much my go-to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stash busting is inspiring, Jasmine, and your quilting looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your color selection is magnificent. This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!