Monday, May 30, 2016

Ant Picnic: A Fast Finish


This quilt, Ant Picnic, was a fun fast finish. (Say that three times fast.)  I made it for an auction raising money for youth summer camps in my new ward at church.  It was a great stash buster because it used up all of the ant picnic fabric and all of a mystery red solid.


I had the perfect amount of fabric to make a quilt 72 x 84 inches with a pieced backing.  I just had to add some Kona Black for the binding.


I was able to match the plaid when sewing the pieces together, but I did end up with some partial ants at the seam.  I don't think anyone will notice unless they are looking for it.


I used a comfort loft polyester batting and a basting spray.  When using a polyester batting (which I usually avoid) I spray both the batting and fabric.  The double spray holds the layers together very well for machine quilting on my Tiara.  (I learned this tip from S.O.T.A.K. Handmade.)


I quilted it with a large meander.  This huge quilt only took three and a half hours to machine quilt.


I finished the quilt the day of the auction and took some pictures in my neighbor's yard while battling the wind.


Quilt Stats #181
Name:  Ant Picnic
Pattern:  Whole cloth with pieced back
Fabric: From my old stash and Kona Black
Amount Used: 9 yards
Size: About 72 x 84 inches
Batting: Comfort Loft Polyester
Date Finished: May 2016
What I learned:
  • Large meandering goes fast on my Tiara!  
As I was making the quilt I was very worried that nobody would like it or bid on it.  I was prepared to buy it back from the auction if I needed to.  However, a few different people bid on it.  The very neighbor whose yard I took the pictures in is the one who ended up with it.  I guess she also thought it would be fun for picnics by the lake.  


XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar. Check them out for more quilty inspiration.

9 comments:

  1. This looks like the perfect picnic quilt! I think you would have been worried about any quilt you gave to the auction. But every thing you make is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that your neighbor let you photograph the quilt in her yard and ended up buying the quilt! And how fun that it came together so quickly. That print really seems perfect for picnics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's so cute! Funny ending up where it did as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that print for a picnic quilt! I have a big chunk of it to back my planned-but-not-started picnic quilt, though not enough of it. But I like your split backing (or is that the front? LOL) so maybe that's a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just in time for a summer picnic! I love it and I loved catching up on all your posts. I have been away from the blogs for too long and ready to jump back in. I have had lots of finishes but not enough time to post. I LOVE your STUDIO! I love all your other posts. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely picnic quilt; I LOVE the ants and the black is perfect in the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They'll just think the ants are crawling under the seam, not that they got cut in half, LOL Cute quilt perfect for a picnic indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt and yay someone bought it and how à propos as to WHO!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!