Friday, March 31, 2017

My Nephew's First Quilt


This is my nephew Mr. C's first quilt.  My mother and I put together a few different boy kits for basic Turning 20 quilts and he chose this blue, green, and gray kit. I helped him cut it out and decide on a layout on my mom's new design wall.  Then my mom helped him sew it all together by pinning and pressing.

My mom usually starts similar quilts with the granddaughters when they turn thirteen, but only recently offered to teach the grandsons.  Mr. C was the first after Cheetah to make his quilt.   He is a senior in high school.  We learned that he was always a little jealous of his cousins and sisters who were given the chance earlier.  So my mom is grateful she listened to my suggestion and offered to teach the grandsons.  Three more of my nephews have expressed interest and will be making similar quilts soon.

I quilted it for him on the Bernina Q24 with the Q-matic (computerized quilting).  While I absolutely love free motion quilting, some designs look a little better with the computer.  (It is also nice to let the computer do the quilting when you have a nasty cold.)


Mr. C chose this fun boxy meander design.


I think it looks great on such a masculine quilt.


He also asked me to finish the binding for him which I did completely by machine.


I am so proud of him!  His quilt turned out awesome.


We bought a 90 inch wide gray minky for the back of his quilt.


I love how the quilting design shows up on the minky.


What a fun quilt with lots of memories.


I will always remember how appreciative he was every step of the way.  It is always nice being told that you are an amazing aunt, right?

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar.  Check them out to see what other quilters are making.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, he did a great job and has great taste! The quilting is perfect for a manly quilt. Sorry to hear you weren't feeling up to par. Hope you are better now! And I didn't know you could get 90" wide minky. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful quilt for a guy-perfect colors and fun quilting. A great threesome team! Sorry you are not feeling well. Hope it doesn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt! I love minky backings and seeing how the quilting sinks into it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! How special that he got to make a quilt with his grand-mother and aunty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every man - young and old wants this quilt now. Masculine bold colors, quilted with squares and lines with a geometric appeal, and a soft side. A handsome finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are feeling better and over the head cold! What awesome memories you and your mom are maki g by working with family to make these quilts. It never hurts to hear you are an amazing Aunt (you are!!!)! Well done, Mr. C!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He did a great job. It looks like one my son (27) would have designed. I haven't introduced him to minky yet....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet the amazing aunt part is well deserved :) Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Very cool that the grandsons are interested too! I love the colors and the quilting is great. I've been looking for a pattern like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too love the colors of this one and I'm so glad to see you and the new computerized program getting along. LOL. Hope that cold goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray! for teaching another family member to quilt. It turned out to be a wonderful collaboration.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!