Monday, December 16, 2013

Cheetah's Simply Woven


I saw this tutorial by Sew Crafty Jess over on the Moda Bake Shop.  I thought that it looked like so much fun.  It also looked like a good quilt for a pre-teen boy.  I showed my son the tutorial and he liked it.  So we picked out fabrics from my stash to make the quilt.  There are about 80 different fabrics in this quilt.  The only fabric I had to buy was the cream solid for the blocks. 

I thought it would save money not buying two jelly rolls (and it did), but I didn't expect it to take so long to iron and cut 2.5 inch strips off of 80 fabrics.  I also didn't think about how long it would take to fold them back up and put them away.  I developed a new love for pre-cuts! 

Then, I struggled sewing the blocks.  I like to chain piece, but it was hard to get a rhythm with this block.  I sewed two sample blocks and realized that you can't mix the blocks up, and you have to be careful how they are ironed.  I kept procrastinating sewing this quilt.  I quilted other tops to still be productive and keep my promise of this being the next quilt I would piece. 

Finally, I just buckled down and decided to do it.  I sewed the blocks in sets of 10 for each strip.  I was THRILLED when I finally got them finished, and so was my Cheetah. 


I put some of the extra blocks on the back.




And I used four of the extra blocks for a mini quilt.  I quilted the mini quilt first, and decided that the stars were too distracting.


So I quilted the large quilt with just loops.



I liked it a lot better.  I did quilt one heart, and his name in it (not shown).



 I did a scrappy binding and added a label.  It is a little hard to see, but that creamy backing fabric is actually a basket weave print.  I thought it was totally appropriate. 



Cheetah sure loves his quilt! 



And I love that it is finished!

Quilt Stats #57
Name:  Cheetah's Simply Woven
Pattern:  Simply Woven
Size:  about 72 x 96 inches
Batting:  Hobbs 80/20
What I learned:
  • Sometimes a pattern looks fun, but isn't fun once you get sewing. 
  • It would have been good to use more medium prints. 
XX,
Jasmine

5 comments:

  1. I have been contemplating making this one too. I'm kinda glad you posted this because for lots of reasons right now, I'm not up to anything that may frustrate me lol. Yours turned out great, I love how this pattern really does look woven. I love how you state what you've learned each time. That's a great idea :) And I also think the same thing in my head each and every time! We never stop learning do we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey jasmine,
    Another fabulous quilt. Really cool pre-teen quilt! Good thing you kept going even when it was not to easy. It looks really complex! Thanks for your view on the precut fabrics. I now understand why people want to buy them.
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt@yahoo.com
    ipatchandquilt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Thanks for sharing the pattern. Maybe I'll make a sample block before I commit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!! I would have made a sample first too!! It's amazing how the weave came out! Thanks for sharing under our Jelly ROll theme this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this quilt. The colors, the size, the fabrics mixes, the quilting -- just awesome. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!