Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Limeade


A friend of mine was going to start radiation treatment.  Another friend was collecting items for a care package for her.  One week before the deadline I was going to make her a coaster.  Six days before the deadline I was going to make her a placemat. Five days before the deadline I was going to make her a wall hanging.  Four days before the deadline I decided she really needed a cuddle quilt and I better start working on it.

I chose to make another disappearing nine patch quilt in her favorite color: green.  I used navy blue for the accent color because she has a navy blue couch.  The top came together very quickly.  All but a few of the greens came from my stash.  I was able to find some lime green minky on sale and loaded it on the Bernina Q24.  


My baby belly made quilting on the longarm difficult, so I quilted it with spirals which I can practically do in my sleep (or one handed).


The spirals are consistently inconsistent because it was harder than normal to keep them uniform.


I bound the quilt in the navy blue solid.


Then I took it outside for a few pictures.



The picture above is the most accurate for the colors in the quilt.  




Then I tied it with ribbon and brought it to our mutual friend one day before the deadline. 


So many people brought gifts for our friend that the care package became a tower of boxes.  It helped her  feel loved through a difficult time.  I named it Limeade because I hope she can continue to make the limes she is given into limeade.

XX,
Jasmine

7 comments:

  1. It's beautiful and thoughtful! I love that the little bit of navy brings such order to a scrappy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The accent of navy against the lime is beautiful, Jasmine. I hope that your friend is on the road to healing, and I'm sure your quilt and the other care packages she received meant a lot to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! So thoughtful of you. Amazing palette of greens that all play nicely together, and I like the navy accents. I hope your friend has successful treatment and a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so sweet of you to stretch your already time consuming day in order to comfort a friend. I am sure she was touched by everyone's thoughtfulness. Such a simple pattern can be made into a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lots of those lime fabrics, and I love navy with lime! Beautiful quilt, and whoa mama (pun intended) you made it in 3 days?? Pregnant and with another little one? I'm exhausted just thinking about it. :-) Hope she is coming along well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful gift! I loved reading the progression of your plans for what to make :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The progression of the scope of your gift was directly inverse of what it might have been in my studio, Jasmine. You definitely made the right choice! In times of trouble, our friends need a quilt to snuggle.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!