Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Another Hourglass Quilt In Progress


I have been working on this quilt for my sister S little by little after I finished the jelly roll race for my brother.  It seems to be taking longer than normal for me.  I don't know if it is because the quilt is not speaking to me, if I am a little quilted out after a 48 hour finish, or if it is just a crazier week with my boys.  (Although cleaning honey off of my kitchen floor is NOT my idea of fun.) 

The quilt is now ready to baste and quilt, and I love thinking of my sister while I work on it.  However, I will be glad when this quilt is finished.  ;) 


I really do  like the way the blocks play together.  I cut my pink and green squares out at 10 inches, then squared the hourglass blocks up at 9 inches.  So I cut the floral squares out at 9 inches.  I think that every time I look at the quilt I notice something different.  Sometimes I see pink and green squares, and sometimes I see green stars. 

I am thinking of calling this quilt "Taking Time to Smell the Roses" because of the roses and the hourglass blocks signifying time, but that is a long name.  Do you have any suggestions? 

The layout was inspired by my friend Deb of A Simple Life Quilts.  She used hourglass blocks as setting squares for her Warm 16 Patch blocks.  I really like the way hers turned out, so I decided to try it out with floral squares.  I do think my sister will enjoy this lap quilt. 

This week I also signed up to participate in the Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  You can still sign up.  Click on the button below for more details.  :D

Confessions Of A Fabric Addict


On a side note, I had a fun time last week setting up a quilt display with my neighbor.  This was for a Stake Relief Society meeting held to celebrate the birthday of the Relief Society at church.  It was really fun working on it. 


Half of the quilts shown are mine.  We draped a flat sheet over chalk boards and ladders to protect and display some of the quilts. 


The purple Southern Belle quilt was cut out by my grandmother and finished by me.  I blogged about it here


The scrappy quilt on the rocking chair has blocks sewn by my great grandmother, and I finished the quilt.  I mentioned it in this post.  I also hand quilted the little pink quilt sticking out of the basket.  I mentioned it in this post


The Pink Double Irish Chain quilt in the quilting stand was pieced and then hand quilted by me.  I blogged about it here.  The turquoise satin quilt the the white quilt in the trunk were made by my grandmother.  I blogged about them here.  And the pink and turquoise log cabin quilt was pieced and then hand quilted by me.  I blogged about it here

The other quilts in the display were made by other women's grandmothers or great grandmothers.  It was such a fun project to work on.  By the way, my neighbor found that awesome trunk at Hobby Lobby.  Isn't it super cool?  I think I want one of those.  ;)

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I am linking up with Let's Bee Social at  Sew Fresh Quilts and Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation. 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, Jasmine! I'm so glad you're participating in the Challenge this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sister's quilt! The colours are lovely and look so spring like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fun seeing your little display! And you'll be done with your sister's quilt soon and can move on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous quilt top and display, Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a wonderful display! I had no idea that you did hand quilting. Those quilts are all beautiful. What treasures! And the hourglass quilt will be too. I am sure your sister will sure appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sister is going to love this quilt! And that display - talk about eye candy!! :) Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!