It is one week into May, and I have my first finish! I am so excited because this quilt is my May goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes (Link #58), and a Mother's Day gift for my mother-in-law. I am so happy that I have both goals (one project) done early.
I have decided to name this quilt "Serenity," because all of the fabrics are so sweet and peaceful. I hope my mother-in-law likes it and will use it in her blue bedroom. I finished it this afternoon and was able to take some pictures outside between the rain showers when the sun peeked out just a little.
I always think that I add a little bit of myself to every quilt I make, but this time I know I did. Check out this selvage.
It was so much fun to see my name!!! Just ignore the date of 1999, please. ;)
I cut the squares out at 8 inches, which is such an awesome size. You can get ten squares out of a half yard, and four out of a fat quarter. It was a great use for the sweet blue and yellow florals in my stash. I cut out the sashings at 2.5 inches and the border at 6.5 inches.
I quilted a flower on each floral block by dividing the square into quarters with my Hera marker. I quilted a quarter inch in on the sashings, and learned that the longarm rulers help a lot!
I decided to work on my feathers again and quilted them in the border.
There is a lot of room for improvement in my feathers. I made my vine curvier, and did a more modern feather which took up the space. I am not sure I like such a big difference in feather length, but I really like the overall look.
I used a soft cream print for the backing.
It looks really cool with the light shining through. And I can't wait to see how the backing looks after the quilt is washed.
I bound the quilt by machine in a solid blue. It is a little darker and gives it a nice frame while still blending with the border.
Quilt Stats #103
Pattern: Floral blocks with sashing and borders
Quilting design: flowers and feathers
Fabric: from my stash
Amount Used: 7.5 yards
Batting: Warm and White
Size: About 58 x 75 inches
Date finished: May 2014
What I learned:
- Rulers help a lot when quilting with my midarm, Princess.
- Quilting with the border on the left helped when using my stitch regulator.
- I need to keep working on feathers. Practice, practice, practice!
P.S. I will be linking up at some of my favorite places this week including Let's Bee Social, Needle and Thread Thursday,and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop. You can see what others are doing by clicking on the buttons on my sidebar. Plus, I will also link up with Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.
P.P.S. I am linking up with Amy's Free Motion Mondays for feathered quilting. I want to improve my feathers. :)