Monday, April 20, 2015

Fabric Buckets Plus...


The servicing on my Tiara was done early, and I wanted to make something fun while trying out a different kind of thread (polyester embroidery thread).  So I looked through the book First Steps to Free-Motion Quilting and decided to make some quilted fabric buckets.

The first thing I did was use my Hera Marker to mark a three inch grid, then quilted each square in an organic square spiral.  It took me about 45 minutes to quilt a grid that was 12 x 42 inches - 56 continuous spirals.


I was very pleased that I did not have a single problem with the polyester embroidery thread.  I also learned that organic square spirals look better from a 3 foot plus distance.  :)  I am ready to try them out on my Magic Carpet quilt. (Once I get it basted.)

After I quilted the panel, I followed the directions in the book and made these two baskets.  One change I made was to top stitch across the pink band to fully enclose the raw edges.


That was done in the ditch above the lining.   Another change I made from the book was to just use a single fabric for the cuff instead of small scraps.


They were so much fun to make and look great in my craft room.  And while they don't look scrappy, they were made with scraps.  :)  One was made with scraps from the quilt  in my craft room (a random pink), and the other was from a scrap of Kona Bright Pink.  The pinks are so similar that I can no longer tell which one is which.  Originally I could tell just because of the different selvages.


I have a feeling that these fabric buckets may become as addicting to make as simple drawstring bags.  But I would probably need to buy some black marbled fabric to make more.  I used up the rest of my old blacks and grays cutting out a large plus quilt.  I think I am going to call it "Evening Addition."


This quilt will be donated to Happy Chemo as part of the Hands2Help Challenge at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  I wanted to make something masculine this year.  I figured a plus quilt made from eight inch  black and gray squares would work well.  It will finish about 60 x 75 inches.  My family likes big lap quilts.

Confessions Of A Fabric Addict

There is still plenty of time if you would also like to make a quilt for the Hands2Help Challenge.

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar including O Scrap and the Hands2Help check-in.

15 comments:

  1. Your buckets look fun! That plus quilt is going to be amazing and for a great cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baskets are great, I was noticing they were matching your quilt before you showed the whole thing together. Love the plus quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fabric buckets are adorable and the plus top is awesome! It is going to be a great quilt! Black and gray is a brilliant combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your donation quilt looks great; I love how cutting large blocks makes the pattern seem so much more graphic. I hope it goes to provide warmth and a dose of loving care to someone who really needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, you inspire me, Jasmine. What a super quilt. I may do this to use up some of my stash. It will definitely be on a future post. The recipient will be thrilled. Also love the fabric buckets. Your fabric choices are always great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great H2H quilt...easy quick, yet like that it is masculaine. Love the name: Evening Addition!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great little buckets Jasmine. I use mine to sort scraps into by color.Thanks for sharing them with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute buckets and nice plus quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Plus quilts are my favorite! I'm working on one now too! Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those buckets are great, and I like the way the plus quilt looks. What a great idea to go for a more masculine look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a few things from Christina's book that I want to make, including little scrap buckets. Yours turned out great and I love the quilting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been itching to make a fabric bucket and these look great! Your quilting is lovely, although I've noticed the same thing you have about my own free motion quilting--it looks best from a distance :) Practice makes permanent, so let's just keep quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jasmine, those buckets are so cute. the quilting looks great in close up too. It is really fun to see you bring things from Christina's books to life!
    "Evening Edition" looks like it is going to be a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous quilt for either gender, such a plus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought the quilting looked pretty good close up! I love the masculine look of the plus quilt, and the name is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!