Friday, November 25, 2016

Chunky Race Quilts In Progress


I made five quilt tops using my Calculations for Race Quilt Variations.  However, this time I was mostly using stash instead of scraps.  So I decided to make calculations for quilts exactly 41 by 56 inches using 4 inch wide and 18 inch long strips.  I figured that I needed 37 eighteen inch strips and 1 eight inch strip.

I went one step further and tried to figure out if I could plan where each of the fabrics would end up instead of it being completely random.  I started out by making a paper quilt.  Instead of thread to hold it together I used tape.


Then I laid out my 38 pieces on my design wall, remembering that pieces on the end of rows will be in two different places.


I used my paper guide again to pick up the pieces in order from 1 to 38.  Then I sewed it into one long strip and used the Jelly Roll Race method to sew it together.


Every time I folded the strips in half I referred back to my paper to make sure I sewed on the correct side of the pieces.  I am pleased to say that it worked on my first try.


I call that planned random.  :)  This method worked for four more quilts.


I love how it all worked out.  The first quilt used eight fat quarters.  It was mostly Jungle Ave by Art Gallery Fabrics.   I won those fabrics participating in the Hands2Help challenge last year.  The Second quilt used eight Fabri-quilt solids I won in a giveaway at Quilting Jetgirl.  The third quilt used scraps from ten different projects.  The last two quilts used Jungle Party fabric I won at the Inspired by Fabric Blog, plus some Wild Side Timeless Treasures fabric from Christine and scraps from Cheetah's quilt.  

These quilts will also be given to children staying at Primary Children's Hospital for Christmas.  I will share the finished quilts next week.


XX,
Jasmine

I will be linking up with Oh Scrap for this fun use of scraps in a couple of the quilts.

8 comments:

  1. This looks like a great tutorial for making a fast and fun quilt! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very happy the prints I sent you are going to a great cause! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done! Yes thanks for working that out for us;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Planned scrappy - brilliant! I like how the Fabri-Quilt colors work together, and it is exciting to see so many lovely quilts being made and donated by you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I just blinked and you completed four more quilts in that time. Thank you for sharing the directions. I am sure many of us will turn to them when we need a quilt in a hurry for a baby shower next weekend. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving. Where are the boys hiding?
    Hugs,
    Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job turning all those fabric wins into a pile of beautiful quilts.it is nice to have a go-to recipe for a quilt that turns out so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These turned out great, Jasmine, but I don't think I would have put that much thought into it!!! :) They truly are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilts! Thanks for sharing some of your design process with us.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!