Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Skittles Quilt in Progress


Three years ago I started a hand applique project inspired by the 365 quilts I loved.  Before going on a road trip I traced four inch circles onto iron-on interfacing, sewed the circles to sixteen scraps, turned them right side out, and ironed them onto gray squares.  Even though we were in the car for several hours, I only hand sewed three and a half around the edge.  I realized I didn't like doing it.  

I thought about the project for a couple years and wondered if I should change my methods.  I had machine appliqued some circles at a retreat a few years ago using a blind hem stitch.  Machine applique is so much faster!


 I decided that appliqueing the circles by machine was a much better idea.  Then I could work on my only UFO.  I pulled out the circles I had started and all the five inch scraps I had.  Then I placed them on my design wall.  There were 93 different fabrics.


It wasn't nearly enough for a lap quilt.  So I cut into my stash for more variety.  This is definitely a case where the scraps were multiplying.  There was now 140 different fabrics.


I worked on one color at a time for a little while.  Pink and purple were my first choice.  Even with only working on it for twenty to thirty minutes at a time things got done.


But I didn't like them all in rows.  So I played with the layout.


Much better.  I ended up preparing the rest of the circles.  This could be done out of the craft room while watching the kids.


Things went much faster after that.  (This layout was inspired by Kelly's Shattered Rainbow scrap quilt.)


I totally loved it, but did't feel like piecing all the blocks together in little spurts of time.  So it is now sitting in a box, stacked in columns, and waiting some more.

XX,
Jasmine

6 comments:

  1. I love this layout too. This is going to be a cute quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to find a method that was more enjoyable to move the project forward. I really like the way you re-worked the placement to have a color wash effect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can already tell that I am going to absolutely LOVE this quilt (once you get around to sewing it together!!) Sorry that it's been such a trial to get to this point, Jasmine. Some quilts are like that, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I have a feeling you won't wait as long to get this one together now... I see Allison of Cluck Cluck Sew moved her machine into the dining room so she could do kid watching and sewing, just sayin'.. :-) I love this one and you make me want to do one like it for next year's RSC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more the merrier!!! So much color and beauty in this I am sure it will come together quickly now that you know how lovely it is going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you are getting some tie for sewing therapy;) I definitely think you took the best route to get those circles appliqued.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!