Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Giant Star in Progress
My friend Jen of Glinda Quilts recently posted about a soldier's quilt which needed a home. (It doesn't any more.) It got me thinking about servicemen that I know. After thinking about it for a couple days, I decided that I wanted to make a quilt for my friend whose husband is in the service.
I looked at the blues left over from my month of blue, and realized that I didn't have any navy blue fabric left.
So I went to bed. However, the thought of making her a quilt would not go away. So I went back to my stash and decided to make a bright blue and red quilt. I had plenty of fabric for that. ;) I wanted to make it quickly and decided to stick with a simple pattern. I had made a giant star quilt (mentioned here) earlier, and decided to make another one. It uses Jeni's Giant Star Quilt Tutorial.
I cut my squares out at 18 inches for the half square triangles, and trimmed them to 17.5 inches square. To do this I used the lines on my large cutting mat.
I don't use the lines on my cutting mat very often, because I don't think it is super accurate. However, I used what I had for something this large. (Although the 21" square ruler from Omnigrip is on my wish list.)
It was accurate enough for my center point to look like this. :)
I was able to get the entire top laid out on my design wall in less than two hours.
Then I decided to make a smaller one for myself out of the scraps. I cut these squares at 6 inches.
It is crazy how much smaller it is cutting the squares at on third the original size. The bigger one finishes at 68 inches, and the smaller one finishes at 20 inches.
I ate lunch with the munchkins, and decided to add borders to both quilts. I added a 2 inch border of the cream star fabric all around the large star, and a 1 inch border of the cream star fabric all around the small star. I kept the smaller one square by adding side borders with cornerstones. Then I added borders to two sides of the large one to make it a rectangle. I love large rectangular quilts. I pieced the backing with fabric from my stash and got them basted. It took a day and a half. Then I had them quilted and bound after another day and a half of working on them.
My next post will have more pictures of the finished quilts, because they are already done.