Thursday, January 9, 2014

Winter Quilt & Runner



I finished up the Layer Cake Lemonade quilt this week.  It is part of my January goals for A Lovely Year of Finishes.  I decided to call it Blueberry Juice.  It doesn't look like a Blue Raspberry Lemonade and who has ever heard of Blueberry Lemonade?  ;)

I quilted it with my mom's Bernina 440, because my Janome is still being serviced.  It was fun to play with the BSR, but I really missed the extra space of my larger machine.  I used two different colors of thread.  A light blue over the lights, and a grey over the darks.  The grey blended with more of the blues than any blue thread I had. 


Because the backing fabric is so splotchy with lights and darks, both colors blend in beautifully. 


I love how this quilt turned out, and see more Layer Cake Lemonade quilts in my future stash busting this year.  For more information about how I plan on using up and cutting my stash, see this post


Just so you know (but don't tell any one else...like my neighbors) I braved the falling snow in my Crocs and pajamas just to get the outdoor pictures.  I did wear a jacket, though. 


For now, this quilt will live here in my basement on this rack my awesome hubby made. 


But when I finish a different winter quilt, it may move to my sofa. 


Quilt Stats #79
Name:  Blueberry Juice
Pattern:  Layer Cake Lemonade
Fabric:  Blues from my stash
Amount used:  5 yards
Batting:  Hobbs 80/20
Size:  about 48 x 61 inches
Date Finished: January 2014
What I learned:
  • Sometimes simple patterns can pack a punch. 
  • The BSR is fun, but I like my Janome.  (Always good to appreciate your own machine.)
  • I can use my stash for fun projects. 

My other finish this week is this table runner. 


It is larger than the light blue one I finished earlier this month.  It is about 20.5 x 50 inches.  It used up nearly 3 yards of my stash fabric.  The batting was a scrap the perfect size from a lap quilt I made last year.  The backing fabric is the leftovers from the Blueberry Juice quilt. 


As you can see, I quilted it with a loosely echoed wavy line about 1.25 inches apart.  I wanted the wiggle to evolve, so I didn't use the guide bar with my walking foot.  I really like how it turned out, and so does my husband. 

The first thing Cheetah said was, "Oh. You quilted it with that squiggle again. I don't like it." Good thing it was not for him. 


Because of its larger size, it is too big for my kitchen table.  So it will live on top of my computer desk this month. 


Those three darling babies are my boys:  Cheetah, Panda and Monkey between 15-18 months old. 

Here are both projects together (with less glare on the photographs). 


I never knew blue fabric could be so much fun!  I am looking forward to finishing the other three blue quilts I started this month... Maybe I need some pillows next.  :o)

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with Finish it up Fridays at Crazy Mom Quilts and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict

12 comments:

  1. And blue looks lovely on your dark brown couch! :)

    Great finishes. You aren't the only one to trudge out in the snow to take quilt pictures - I've done pajamas and snow boots or clogs. Sometimes I remember a jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing a great job destashing the blue! Hmm, maybe I should follow your lead and tackle my blue bin for a Layer Cake Lemonade. Or maybe just send you my blues. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy you are going to town on the blue stash! I wish I could get half this much done :) I had to go back and make sure this wasn't the post I thought (and did) already read lol. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful! All of them.
    At first I though you were working with blue because blue is the color we are sewing during January in the 2014 Rainbow Scrap Challenge at http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/. Perhaps you would like to join us this year. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous, all! I love blues, and you've really made them look good. Love the photos in the snow, with the snowflakes swirling in front of the quilt! Here's another little secret... I was scooping snow from my porch for my dyeing in PJs and sock-footed this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finishes - congrats (and way to brave the snow!!)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I really,really like the table runner with those wavy lines in pretty blues! Sweet pics of your boys:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blues also! Your runner is just fantastic and I love the wavy quilting. I still have blues and will try this on my next project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Celia! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

      Delete
  9. That is a great quilt!! And congrats on the finish! Love your pictures of your boys! I have 3 also ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love last photo so very much!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for rejuvinating your layer cake post at Tuesday Archives Jasmine! Sometimes and easy and quick pattern is soooo very nice! I'm looking forward to sewing my layer cake this month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Jasmine! Here from Val's
    you have the blues too! Or did last year. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!