Thursday, December 14, 2017

Christmas Week ~ Day 4


Welcome to day four of Christmas Week here at Quilt Kisses.  Today I am sharing the Christmas Race quilt I made with the scraps and leftovers of the Patrick Lose Christmas fabric. 

I cut out four inch strips from the odd shaped leftovers and put them on my design wall. 


It looked a little boring so I added a couple pinwheels. 


I couldn't believe the difference in overall cuteness with just a couple.  I trimmed all of the HST scraps from the Swoon quilt for a total of eighteen pinwheels. 


I added two more fabrics (a dark green pine cone and an ornament fabric) and pieced it all together.  While I call it a race quilt, I actually sewed each row individually so that I could plan where everything went. Then I loaded it on the Bernina Q24 with a minky backing and Hobbs 80/20 batting. 


I quilted it simply with big loops in alternating directions with white thread.  It went very quickly. 


The loops look so cute on the red minky backing.  It is a bright cherry red that is so soft it is silky. 


I added a dark red binding and it was finished before I knew it. 


It quickly found its home in the piano room by the matching tree skirt. 


I love how the piano room turned out with the new additions (even a new picture of the temple where my husband and I were married). 


However, if you think it stays in here you don't know my boys.  This quilt is already loved and drug around the house for cuddles.  It was so much fun making it that I wish I could just sit and sew up the rest of my Christmas scraps.  But I have other projects with deadlines to finish first.  At least I can share a table runner I made with scraps from earlier Northcott Christmas fabrics tomorrow.

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar.  Check them out and join the fun.  

12 comments:

  1. I love this quilt! It is going on my Christmas list. We only have a couple winter quilts and with 10 people in the house it is never enough. I just need to stock up on some fabric so I can make some quilt this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pops of the pinwheels are so fun! I had no doubt that the minky backed quilt would be used and loved in your house. Your decor is lovely and I'm positive that the quilt brings cheer and color to whichever room of the house it ends up in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding those pinwheels really added some zing to the quilt. I love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is so bright and cheery! Looks like it fits right in with all the other beautiful quilts and the Christmas tree. Love the quilting and minky backing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinwheels add extra pizzazz to the quilt!!! Your house is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a difference those pinwheels make. I think I just might have to finally make a "race" quilt. Your home is so very beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pinwheels (and the Minky back) were AWESOME additions to this cozy Christmas quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an amazing quilter, Jasmine. Saw all six of your days and my eyes popped. Love the race quilt, such a clever addition of the pinwheels. Your decor is so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pinwheels! They added so much pizzazz to the simple strips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding those pinwheel gave your quilt such a sparkle. What you did for quilting was just right. Wonderful addition to your decor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the added pinwheels! And that minky, well ya know, just perfect. Oh ya, I can see that quilt migrating...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the addition of the pinwheels! It made it fun, unique, and perfect! Hope you don't mind me copying this idea? I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!