Friday, March 21, 2014

My Sister's Rose Garden Quilt


I finished this quilt for my sister S yesterday.  It only took me a week from start to finish, but it seemed to drag.  My sister did select the fabrics from my stash, so I hope she will love it and use it.  I talked more about the piecing of it in my last post.  It used one of my floral fabrics plus some pinks from my stash which was part of my March goal

I decided to call it "Rose Garden" because "Taking Time to Smell the Roses"  seemed a little too long.  ;)


I really like the way the hourglass blocks frames the roses.  Sometimes I see economy blocks, and sometimes I see green stars.  I do like the way it turned out. 

I had enough of the rose fabric in my stash to make it so I didn't have to piece the borders.  Because I cut the borders out at 6.5 inches, I had a bunch left over which I used on the backing. 


The bottom fabric really is a pretty pale pink.  It is an old Jinny Beyer print. 


I quilted it in a light pink with a large stipple, because I wanted the fabrics to show more than the quilting.  I was amazed at how fast it went quilting with Princess. 


I used the green fabric for the binding, and bound it completely by machine. 


Here it is another picture of the whole quilt. 


Quilt Stats #100
Name:  Rose Garden
Pattern:  Hourglass blocks with setting squares
Quilting design:  Large stipple
Inspired by:  My friend Deb's Warm 16 Patch quilt
Fabric:  Hoffman floral and other fabrics from my stash. 
Amount Used:  8 yards
Batting:  Warm and White
Size:  About 60 x 76 inches
Date finished:  March 2014
What I learned:
  • I do like quilting with Warm and White batting.
  • The stipple quilts up very fast.
  • Some quilts are more engaging than others.
While this quilt is not my favorite, it did received Panda's approval in the form of snow angels.  :D  He cooperated this time when I tried to take his picture.  Cheetah also had fun being silly on it once Monkey was asleep.  I love watching my boys play on the quilts I make. 


XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I am linking up with Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. 

7 comments:

  1. She will love it! I really need to learn to do free motion soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt. I have an older fabric that looks very similar to your rose fabric. I loved that fabric so much! I used it for the backing on a quilt of mine. I think this pattern would work well for a charity quilt. How big are your blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply call the quilt "Taking Time". It's a beautiful quilt and she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty colours, Jasmine and a quick finish too! I'm sure your duster will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and such approval from the boys!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!