Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Escaped: A Finished Quilt

I have made quilts for many different reasons, but I have never made a quilt just to be able to give it a specific name (until now).  This quilt is called, "Escaped" because some of the bugs have escaped the jars.

This quilt was inspired by a comment Yvonne made on my last post about the quilt, "Caught."  I had jokingly said that if I quilted a bug in the grass that I could have called it "Escaped."  She thought I should make another version and call it "Escaped."  Other people agreed with her.  I couldn't stop thinking about it, so in less than two days I had another quilt finished.  My second quilt finish for the month of September.

I didn't have enough greens to use the same pattern, so I decided to make a stripe quilt instead.  I hunted through my leftover fabrics and came up with this quilt.  

Christina Cameli recommends following a pattern with small, medium, and large stripes on a stripe quilt.  I followed her advice and kept the yellow and green as medium stripes, cut 4.5 inches wide.  The blue stripes are small, cut 2.5 inches wide.  The bugs are the large, cut 6.5 and 8.5 inches.  The quilt ended up being 41 by 48 inches, great for a baby quilt.

Everything is a leftover.  The jars were left over from "Caught."  The other bug print was left over from my boys' bug jar quilts.  The blue was left over from Panda's "Beary Blue."  The yellow and green were left over from "Happy Haunting."

The light green on the back and the dark green binding were left over from "Caught."  The other two backing fabrics were left over from Monkey's "Things That Go."  Does that make this a scrap quilt?  Or is a quarter yard too large to be considered a scrap?

I quilted this quilt on my domestic sewing machine because it was already set up after quilting "Caught."  I kept the medium green in the bobbin for the whole quilt, but used medium green, medium blue, and medium gray in the needle.  I have found that as long as the value is the same in my needle and bobbin threads I can mix up the colors a bit.

I quilted a stretchy meander with green thread over the bug jars.  (That's the same way I quilted it on "Caught.")  I quilted a wiggly line in blue thread on the blue stripes.

I quilted a regular meander with gray thread over the free bugs.

I quilted loops and one escaped bug in green on each of the yellow and green stripes.

It was so much fun, and I love how the whole quilt turned out.

The quilting gives this quilt such great texture.

And the darker green binding gives it a great frame.

Here is "Escaped" with its inspiration "Caught."  They are almost the same size.  "Caught" is just three inches longer.

Quilt Stats #167
Name: Escaped
Pattern: 2, 4, 6, and 8 inch Stripes
Fabric: Leftovers from other projects
Amount Used: 3.5 yards
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Size: About 41 x 48 inches
Date Finished: September 2015
What I learned:

  • Sometimes you just have to get to work when the inspiration strikes.  

I don't have plans for either of these quilts yet.  They are just going into the gift/donate pile until I make a decision.  But at least a finished quilt (or two) is better than fabric on the shelf, right?  

Now that it is finished, I can get back to making a quilt for my oldest brother.


P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar.  Check them out for lots of inspiring quilty projects.


  1. I *love* how Escaped turned out, Jasmine! The quilting is great, and I love that I can find the quilted escaped bugs - what a fun treasure hunt that is going to be for some lucky child. <3

  2. That is so cute and fun Jasmine! I love how the name you had in mind directed the quilt. Your quilting is great - as always and the variations in stripe widths is a great tip from Christina!

  3. Cute quilt with a quilt name and done is icing on the cake!

  4. Very clever Jasmine! And you finished it up so quickly.

  5. Haha, I love that you out did this! It looks great (in fact, I like it better than Caught) and I adore the quilting.

  6. Love the name and love the quilt.

  7. So cute, Jasmine. Clever, creative, fun! I'm sure the boys love it! Lovely work as always!

  8. Such a nice quilting, well done!
    Greetings from Germany!

  9. You should've called Escaped "Squirrel!" That is one of the only times in the time I have known you that you interrupted another quilt to make these two! I've always known you to be a one quilt at a time gal, lol. I am tickled (ha, bug pun intended) that you did make Escaped and make it so FAST! Entirely too much fun!

  10. I love both of these quilts - very well done both of them! I really like the concept behind their names/quilting etc - Bugs in a jar is such a cool fabric, I know I have a small piece of it as I used some in an eye-spy quilt about ten years ago for my son. You've made two really fun quilts, great work!

  11. Both are beautiful, and I love that you made Escaped just to be able to give it that name! Such a fun inspiration story :)

  12. Darling quilts...both! These reminded me of a quilt I made about ten years ago. I had to applique/embroider the bugs in the jars because there were no bug fabrics available. I gave that one away to a young single mom who really needed to know that someone cared. Donation quilts are wonderful for families needing encouragement.

  13. I love your escaped bugs in the quilting!!


I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than three days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!