September was a crazy busy month with soccer, colds, and helping Cheetah. So I am extra happy to have finished this quilt. It is my only quilt finish for the month of September. I used it for demonstrating in my MORE Free-Motion Quilting Class, so I decided to finish quilting it on my domestic sewing machine.
Because I teach others to quilt on their domestic sewing machine, I find it very helpful to occasionally quilt with mine. I remembered that even if I quilt at this machine's top speed, my hands are still moving fairly slow. :)
Taking inspiration from the green fabrics in this quilt, I quilted with loops and leaves across the green sections.
I quilted a stretchy meander across the bug jar stripe to keep the quilting more simple. I stitched in the ditch between the green and the jars.
I used a slightly darker green for the binding to continue the ombre look.
I cut the three center stripes at 8.5 inches and the outer stripes at 9.25 inches to maximize the width of the quilt. The bugs were cut out at 10 inches.
It is the second time I have used this pattern for a simple baby quilt. The first was the "April Showers Bring May Flowers" quilt.
Kind of fun seeing the same pattern in boy and girl colors.
The back of the quilt is more of the bug jar fabric.
I decided to name the quilt "Caught" because all of the bugs have been caught, and none can be found in the green grass.
If I thought ahead, I would have quilted one bug in the grass and called it "Escaped" instead. Lol.
**I decided to make another quilt and call it "Escaped." Check out this post for more details.
Quilt Stats #166
Quilt Name: Caught
Pattern: Simple quarter yard stripes
Fabric: Greens and bug jar from my stash
Amount Used: 3.5 yards
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Size: About 41 x 50 inches
Date Finished: September 2015
What I Learned:
- Quilting on my small domestic machine is still fun!
P.S. I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar. Check them out for lots of quilty inspiration.