Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Pinwheel Quilt Top


I mentioned in an earlier post that I was testing out my Mom's Accuquilt.  

I wanted to turn this fabric into pinwheels.  


I cut it into strips parallel to the selvage.  


Then I paired it with Kona White and ran it through the AccuQuilt with the 4.5 inch HST die.  


I was able to cut out enough HST for forty pinwheels with very little waste out of the yard and a half of fabric.  


But I really wanted 42 pinwheels.  I just needed four more squares.  So I sewed the scraps together.  


I ran those through the AccuQuilt with white and got enough HST to complete two more blocks.  


After finishing the four wedding quilts I was in the mood to piece all the pinwheels.  I loved how easy it was to piece them accurately without squaring them up afterwards.  I put all the HST up on the design wall from the darkest blue down to the darkest green.  (The scrappy HST were all mixed in.)


I moved things around for a couple days.  The changes were pretty subtle.  


The HST with yellow made some things a bit difficult.  I changed them around even more when I sewed the HST into pinwheels.  


Then I added white sashing.  I cut 8.5 inch wide WOF strips.  Then I used the 2.5 inch strip die to cross cut the sashing.  I figured if I had it, I might as well try it.  I thought it worked great!  


The pinwheels look different with the sashing.  But I'm so pleased with how it looks with just two fabrics.  


Then all I had to do was add the border, which I cut out a little wider than the sashing.  


I will definitely be making more HST quilts cut out with the AccuQuilt!  

I'm excited to quilt it up, but have had to wait for white batting.  COVID has slowed down many things.  

XX,
Jasmine

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I love that you used such a fun print to create a fun change and gradient across the quilt top. I would have spent a long time arranging the blocks just so, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pinwheels are fabulous, makes me want to go whip one up. Don't you just love the accuquilt for fast and accurate. I am so glad I was able to get one through IB ambassador and accuquilt before my time was up;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you cut squares before running them thru the accuquilt. How come you didn't just fold the strip back and forth and cut one fabric strip at a time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an unexpected use of that fabric, Jasmine. LOVE the play of light it gave in the completed top!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great use of the fabric. Pinwheels aren't my fabric but an Accuquilt makes them a lot easier. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!