Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Challenge Quilt in Progress


This is my third year participating in the summer fat quarter challenge at my LQS.  We have to use 80% of the fat quarter in a project that is not bigger than 48 by 60 inches.

I must admit that I wasn't very inspired in the beginning.  Good thing that they gave us two months to complete the challenge.  I thought about making a bag, a basket, or an apron.  But I was not going to make a quilt with the liscense plate fabric.  Famous last words.  I did make a quilt!  But I decided to cut it out so that you couldn't really tell it was license plates.  I like the quilty phrases or puns as my dad would call them.

Here are the license plates after cutting the fat quarter apart.


Here are what they look like trimmed and all lined up.  I did add some extra phrases from yardage that I bought.  So yes, I have more of this (originally) uninspiring fabric.  However, I think one or two on a zipper pouch or small project would be really cute.


I definitely used more than 80% of a fat quarter.  Here are all my trimmings.


I decided to "Cut the Scrap" and go "Scrap Crazy" making another scrap vortex quilt using Amanda Jean's quilt along from a couple years ago.

I like to use up my string scraps and chain sew as much as possible.


After sewing around three sides of each phrase I put it up on my design wall.


I thought it was too dark so I added some lighter scraps.


I liked it better and kept going until my quilt top finished about 40 by 52 inches.


Because this will be a wall hanging for my studio, I decided to try quilting it in a large spiral.


I used the built in walking foot on my old Pfaff.  In the picture above you can see that I  used my Hera Marker and marked some concentric circles to use as guides to keep my spiral circular.  It helped a lot when quilting a spiral on a quilt this big.


After five hours of walking foot quilting, I quilted the very center with my free motion quilting foot.  I tried to spiral in towards a little spiral on the fabric.


Good enough for me.  I didn't feel like unpicking and trying again.

I will share the finished quilt later this week.

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the parties on my sidebar.  Check them out for more quilty inspiration.

4 comments:

  1. That was a very creative way to use that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't even tell they were license plates, in fact I had to really look to see them in the quilt now, LOL Good work of using it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think challenges are so interesting. I really like how you felt uninspired at the beginning and then went back and got more fabric! The spiral quilting is looking great, and I look forward to seeing your finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much fun to see a Quebec license plate; didn't know they put Canadian ones in the fabric. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!