Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Falling Leaves


This is my Falling Leaves quilt which will hang by my stairs for the month of November.  I drafted this quilt over a year ago.  It feels good to have it made.  Maybe sometime I can make the other two I planned at the same time. 


My quilt was heavily inspired by this beautiful quilt made by Carla at Grace and Favor.  Hers is a queen size quilt with mostly large leaves.  Mine is a wall hanging (finishing at 34 by 46 inches) with six inch leaves.  Many of the leaf fabrics were scraps from other projects, so I used the Easy Angle Ruler to make the HST out of 2.5 inch strips. 


I pieced it in November 2018, but it sat on my design wall like this for awhile.  There were too many leaves facing the bottom right.  A couple months later I finally rotated one of the leaves. 


I liked it a lot better that way.  After the unpicking and re-sewing was done, it was easy to get it on the longarm to quilt. 


I quilted it with spirals because that feels like wind to me. 


My favorite part of the quilt is the binding which mimics the changing colors of the leaves.  That was my own design decision.  Carla's quilt has the same binding as her background. 


I pressed the binding away from the quilt before stitching it to the back by hand. 


The backing is a cute print which contains many of the colors of the leaves and binding. 


I'm so excited to hang it up this year, but for now I have been enjoying it in my studio. 


XX,
Jasmine

5 comments:

  1. Lovely! I love how you chose to do the binding. And the swirls are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gradiated binding is such a great touch and way to finish the wall hanging. I'm glad you took the time to change the leaf orientation; small changes can make such big impacts in the overall design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love everything about it - the colors, quilting, binsing and all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swirls are so perfect for anything with leaves on it! You are sure getting several UFO's cranked out:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your brighter version of this quilt. It will add SEW much to your Autumn decor!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!