Monday, July 6, 2015
Lantern Quilt in Progress
I bought a Quick Curve Ruler last November while planning to make a quilt for my sister using the Urban Abacus pattern. I have been procrastinating because of the curves, and because I wanted to change the dimensions of the beads/lanterns.
After speaking with one of the designers at the HMQS, who thought it would work very well, I decided to give it a shot. While my quilt is about the same size as the one in the pattern, it has half of the beads/lanterns.
I ended up cutting my lanterns 8 inches wide, and the bars 2.5 inches wide. Then I experimented with how wide I wanted the background to be cut (5 inches wide). I am so pleased with how the pattern looked with my sizes. (I kept all the heights the same as in the pattern.)
It was so much fun watching the quilt transform with each step.
From the cut pieces.
To the sewn blocks.
To the finished quilt top.
One other change I made was to extend the bars on the top and bottom to make the lanterns float a little more. (I didn't like the look of the binding right up next to the lanterns/beads on the top and bottom of the quilt.)
I also did the piecing a little bit different than I normally do. I usually sew all the blocks, press all the blocks, then square up all the blocks. However, I found it much easier to work in batches of four. I would piece four...
Then press them, cover them with a magazine and leave them to cool.
While they were cooling, I would sew the next four. Then square them up once they were cool and flat. It worked really well.
I had fun sewing the quilt top and think that the Urban Abacus is a great beginner Quick Curve Ruler pattern. There are no points that have to match up which was really nice!
Now that I am no longer afraid of the ruler and sewing, I look forward to trying more of their patterns. I already have their sampler quilt pattern...
P.S. I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar. Check them out for lots of quilting inspiration.