Thursday, July 27, 2017

Minky Blanket


It is no secret that my family loves quilts with minky.  I have ended up with a lot of minky scraps that are in strips (leftover backing pieces).  I found some great fuzzy minky on clearance that I could use as a backing plus some cute elephant minky.  I decided to add that to my scraps and make a minky strip quilt.

I added one row at a time and sewed through it in a quilt as you go fashion.  I pinned each strip down at my cutting table.


Then I sewed through it on my little Pfaff with the built in walking foot.


I kept adding strips until it was done.  Then I trimmed it up and added my first minky binding.  Next time I would round the corners even more to make it easier.  All in all I ended up with a really cute and super cuddly minky blanket.


Between the strips and the binding I think I used scraps from eight different quilts.  The only problem is that there is one blanket and five of us.  I'm now on the lookout for more ultra fuzzy minky for another minky scrap blanket.

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar.  Check them out for more quilty inspiration.

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea for using up the leftover pieces! And it's cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elephants are such a fun addition to the strips! I can certainly see that only having one of these will create some creative sharing solutions until you can make more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun blanket-you will have to have everyone pick a different day of the week to use it and 2 days for it to rest, LOL. You know you can do a QAYG on the longarm, I have done it a long time ago with regular fabric, not sure if minky would work. Aug. is QAYG for us IB ambassadors. Hoping to use the LA for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a perfect use of scraps, Jasmine. Trust you to take odd scraps and turn them into something cute and cuddly. Did your handsome models go on a strike? I hope they are not demanding higher compensation :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy seeing your minky makes. I've used it on small things but I'm still too afraid to use it on a bigger quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You, my friend, are the Minky QUEEN! Just when I was looking for backing last week for Brady's lap placemat, I found a strip of turquoise Minky and thought hmmm, wish I could do something other than maybe a sweat headband for yoga LOL! NOW I know! And that gives me a reason to buy some more.... mwahaha...

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!