Friday, September 22, 2017

Apple Quilt


I decided that I really needed another seasonal quilt for the month of September.  I bought Lori Holt's book Quilty Fun when it first came out specifically for the apple pattern.  There were a lot more tiny pieces than I normally like to use so it took me a couple years to actually decide to make the apple quilt.


To simplify it a little, I changed her pieced border to a plain border.  2 inch finished four patches are not for me!  ;)  Some of the fabrics are scraps (like the stems, leaves, and a few apples) and some were from my new stash.

The apple cores actually came from an ombre yellow fabric.  The darker the apple, the darker the core.  I like the subtle effect from the ombre fabric.


I quilted it on my little Pfaff because I already had bobbins wound to match all the different Aurifil threads I used.


I backed the quilt in Kona White and I love how it became a two sided apple quilt.


Quilting it was so much fun.


I bound the quilt in the same red print as the border.


I love how it turned out!


The pattern originally had six apple core blocks which don't have leaves.  I decided to just make five, so one uneaten apple has a ghost leaf.  Did you notice?  


Quilt Stats #207
Name:  Apple Quilt
Pattern: From Quilty Fun by Lori Holt
Fabrics Used: Kona White and various stash fabrics
Batting: Warm and White
Size: About 34 x 46 inches
Date Finished: 2017

I love having it hang by my stairs in the great room.


It helps draw out the red in my September Decor.  (The red minky you see is actually Christmas Addition folded so only the red shows.)


Now I need a red, orange, and yellow table runner.

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar.  Check them out for more quilty inspiration.

16 comments:

  1. Your quilting is amazing! Great quilt for fall. People don't often use apples, but they are really a big fall crop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great quilt for fall. I really love the quilting you did on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the different quilting on each apple...and am sooo impressed your bubble quilted the entire background!! It adds great color to your home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking of making this one! I love your version. Your quilting really pops. I don't think I have the patience to pebble a whole background like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt is just adorable, Jasmine! I love the different colored apples, and the apple cores, too. Your decorations make fun pops of red throughout your room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute quilt. It looks amazing in your great room. And your quilting.....WOW. I agree with you about all the small pieces, but it was definitely worth the work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is both wonderful to look at and it looks delicious on the wall. It definitely makes me want to eat an apple a day. You really made some pretty apples with your fabric choices. I love your quilting and quite envious of your skill. Thanks for sharing, I'm still smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to use the ombre fabric for the cores and match the value to the tone of the apple. Your quilting really brings it to life, and the ghost leaf on an uneaten apple is like a fun eye spy game!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jasmine, this quilt is just as pretty from the BACK as it is from the FRONT of the quilt!! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute and your quilting is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No No No - I can't take it. There is too much temptation in this quilt. You know I have this pattern saved for some day in the future. But looking at your cute, sweet, juicy, and exquisitely quilted apples, makes me ache. Wish I could make one now. Alas, for the WIPs and commitments. I will have to be content with staring at your Apples Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A pretty quilt, and all your quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so sweet!! I did not notice the ghost leaf so I had to go searching, LOL I am glad you whipped this one up in time for fall. I can tell you had fun quilting it too:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jasmine, this is cute. Yes the green one on the bottom is the one with the ghost leaf
    I love this quilt and the borders

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's such a beautiful quilt, Jasmine! I love the quilting in each of the apples, and it really is wonderful how it became a reversible quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!