This is my third giant star quilt that I have made from Jeni's tutorial. I added a 1.5 inch cream border all the way around. Then I added a 2.5 inch purple border, and a 5 inch raspberry border. I like having the borders on two sides, because my family doesn't like square cuddle quilts. My border widths were determined by how much fabric I had left after making the blocks. It was a great stash busting project.
This quilt was my September goal for A Lovely Year of finishes (link #30). It was also a request from my boys. They wanted a pink and purple giant star quilt that we could KEEP. They are excited to have it finished. Here you can see Panda's happy dance.
I was excited to work on it, because I used my giant ruler (20.5 inches square) to cut out and trim the blocks. It was very handy. I love this ruler which was a gift from my sons for Mother's Day.
I did the free motion quilting on my Baby Lock Tiara, Princess El. I am enjoying how I rearranged my craft room. I still have plenty of space to set up extra tables and quilt large quilts.
I have learned that while I like quilting with my long arm rulers from left to right (for the feather vine), I like quilting with the borders on the left. It makes it easier to still hold on to the stitch regulator with my right hand.
I used matching threads for each of the colors.
I like how the swirl quilting adds texture, but the threads blend in to the fabrics.
The backing is a busy floral print, so it is not that noticeable that I used three different colors.
I quilted swirls (some with curls/hooks) in the center of the quilt, a wiggly line in the narrow border, and feathers in the wide border.
This time I quilted my feathers a little narrower. They are about one inch wide instead of two. I love how they turned out.
I tried out Amanda Jean's suggestion for ironing the binding away from the backing before stitching it to the top. I am amazed at the difference it made. The binding was nice and flat while I was stitching it down to the front.
I decided to name this quilt "Berry Pie" after Tina said it reminder her of summer bread pudding with berries. I knew it was the perfect name after I made the label. Not only is this quilt made with love, but my husband's birthday berry pies are also handmade with love.
This was such a fun quilt to make, and I can see myself making more giant block quilts.
Quilt Stats #112
Name: Berry Pie
Pattern: Giant Star plus borders
Quilting Design: Swirls with curls/hooks
Fabric: From my stash
Amount Used: 10.5 yards
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Size: About 71 x 86 inches
Date Finished: September 2014
What I Learned:
- Ironing the binding before top stitching it really helps.
- Busy backings are nice when using different colors of threads.
- Unfinished projects really do make me itch to finish them.
- The skinny feathers look better in the border.
P.S. I am linking up with Can I Get a Whoop Whoop and Finish it Up Friday.