Friday, September 12, 2014

Berry Pie: A Finished Quilt

Evidently I can only put a project on hold for so long.  A week and a half after basting this quilt I just had to finish it.  I took a day off from my sneaky sewing to quilt and bind it.  It is probably a good thing I finished this. If I kept putting it off my boys would wonder what was going on.


This is my third giant star quilt that I have made from Jeni's tutorial.  I added a 1.5 inch cream border all the way around.  Then I added a 2.5 inch purple border, and a 5 inch raspberry border.  I like having the borders on two sides, because my family doesn't like square cuddle quilts.  My border widths were determined by how much fabric I had left after making the blocks.  It was a great stash busting project. 

This quilt was my September goal for A Lovely Year of finishes (link #30).  It was also a request from my boys.  They wanted a pink and purple giant star quilt that we could KEEP.  They are excited to have it finished.  Here you can see Panda's happy dance. 


I was excited to work on it, because I used my giant ruler (20.5 inches square) to cut out and trim the blocks.  It was very handy.  I love this ruler which was a gift from my sons for Mother's Day. 


I did the free motion quilting on my Baby Lock Tiara, Princess El.  I am enjoying how I rearranged my craft room.  I still have plenty of space to set up extra tables and quilt large quilts. 


I have learned that while I like quilting with my long arm rulers from left to right (for the feather vine), I like quilting with the borders on the left.  It makes it easier to still hold on to the stitch regulator with my right hand. 


I used matching threads for each of the colors. 


I like how the swirl quilting adds texture, but the threads blend in to the fabrics. 


The backing is a busy floral print, so it is not that noticeable that I used three different colors. 


I quilted swirls (some with curls/hooks) in the center of the quilt, a wiggly line in the narrow border, and feathers in the wide border. 


This time I quilted my feathers a little narrower.  They are about one inch wide instead of two.  I love how they turned out. 


I tried out Amanda Jean's suggestion for ironing the binding away from the backing before stitching it to the top.  I am amazed at the difference it made.  The binding was nice and flat while I was stitching it down to the front. 


I decided to name this quilt "Berry Pie" after Tina said it reminder her of summer bread pudding with berries.  I knew it was the perfect name after I made the label.  Not only is this quilt made with love, but my husband's birthday berry pies are also handmade with love. 


This was such a fun quilt to make, and I can see myself making more giant block quilts. 


Quilt Stats #112
Name: Berry Pie
Pattern: Giant Star plus borders
Quilting Design: Swirls with curls/hooks
Fabric: From my stash
Amount Used: 10.5 yards
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Size: About 71 x 86 inches
Date Finished: September 2014
What I Learned:
  • Ironing the binding before top stitching it really helps. 
  • Busy backings are nice when using different colors of threads.
  • Unfinished projects really do make me itch to finish them. 
  • The skinny feathers look better in the border. 
I just wanted to add that I am grateful my husband added the clothes line for hanging quilts to our deck (which he also built).  It is so nice to be able to hang a quilt for pictures by myself when everyone else is gone. 


XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I am linking up with Can I Get a Whoop Whoop and Finish it Up Friday

23 comments:

  1. I love how your quilt turned out and the quilting is wonderful.
    I'm really pleased my summer pudding suggestion helped with the name. Now that it is quilted it looks good enough to eat! Your family will love snuggling under this quillt.
    Your Babylock Tiara looks very similar to my HQ Sweet 16 which I love - is it the same type of machine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the finish! I love the photo of the happy dance. :) The quilting is great, and the matching colored threads really just disappear to leave a great quilted texture. Hopefully finishing this up will help you keep your secret projects top secret from the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well of course you had to finish it! All in the name of keeping suspicion about other sewing at bay, of course :) You did a splendid job on the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finish! A giant star has been on my to-do list and I think you have inspired me to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love the texture your quilting added to this already awesome quilt top! Beautifully done!! I am still looking for that second pattern. . . I'm starting to think maybe I was imagining things . . . Panda's happy dance picture is too cute!

    Oh, and that clothes line - what a great idea and a perfect setting for quilt pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Goodness! I love it. The quilting is wonderful, I love the feather border. I love that you used different color threads. I have just begun that as well and of course I love the pattern, I may have to do that myself and I love that you added the extra borders.
    That's a lot to love!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors and the star design are fantastic, and I love the way you quilted it. So pretty! And Yay! for hubby's who hang clothes lines for us - mine is working on that for me as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this giant star! Fantastic finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely quilt, Jasmine. The bold simplicity of the star design really makes the quilting stand out, and your swirls are so even.
    Would you like to link up with Free Motion Mavericks on my blog? It would be great to see you there.
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's simply a gorgeous quilt! Your feathers are looking great :-) I thought everyone pressed the binding away from the quilt before sewing it down but when I was showing my friend this past week how I bind she had never pressed it before either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jasmine, it's gorgeous! The quilting is stunning. Love your feathers. I'm starting to sound like a hyper cheerleader, but honestly, it's just beautiful.

    I'm with your boys - not a fan of square quilts myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the proud smile of your little guy....he's smiles is worth a 1,000 words of praise!! Awesome finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's amazing. Just love those colours together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great quilt! I love how you quilted it too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! Love that giant ruler and thanks for a peek at your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to finish! I love the texture the quilting adds..it looks like a cozy quilt

    ReplyDelete
  17. You and your princess did a fantastic job quilting that one. What a great quilt. Love the look on your little guys' face, priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It turned out great Jasmine and I love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely quilt Jasmine! The quilting is really fun too, I like the way you broke up the sections and changed the FMQ pattern ... and it looks like you have a pretty happy customer :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is also a fun quilt to look at. I adore the big block and especially the quilting. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love, love, love your colors! Such fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!