Monday, February 8, 2016

Chaos Controlled: A Finished Quilt


I had so much fun finishing Twister Twin that I wanted to make something with my black, white, and red scraps immediately.  I loved Cynthia's scrap vortex quilt in this color scheme, so I decided to make another scrap vortex quilt.

When I sew a scrap vortex quilt, I pay more attention to sizes than fabrics.  Once I get everything sewn into fours, I square the blocks up to the nearest quarter inch and stack them in piles according to size.


That makes sewing the blocks so much easier.  Once I had twenty blocks with about 32 pieces each, I laid them out on the design floor.


I felt like I was looking at chaos and my eyes were going buggy.  Plan B was to make blocks all the same size and add sashing.


Not only did I think it looked better, but it also made a bigger quilt.  Instead of a lap quilt about 60 x 70, it made an extra big, twin size cuddle quilt.  I cut the blocks at 14 inches and my sashing at 3.5 inches making the quilt about 72 x 88 inches.

I bought 90 inch wide minky for the backing and quilted it on my mom's Fusion long arm.


I felt like the black sashing helped to control the chaos, so I named the quilt, "Chaos Controlled."


My first instinct was to use a black binding so it would blend in, but my mom suggested a red binding.  I am so glad she did.  It really helps the reds in the blocks to pop.


I quilted it in black thread in swirls/spirals.


The black minky is hard to photograph, but here is a peek at the backing.


I love how it turned out and am definitely keeping it! And don't worry, all those white bits on the black is snow.  We have had a lot more of it this year.


Quilt Stats #173
Name:  Chaos Controlled
Pattern: Blocks from a Scrap Vortex Quilt
Fabric:  Scraps from 6 different quilts and other projects
Amount Used:  About 10 yards
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Size: About 72 x 88 inches
Date Finished: January 2016
What I learned:

  • Busy prints in crazy blocks need somewhere for your eye to rest.  
  • Sometimes "Plan B" is best.  
  • I sometimes like bold bindings instead of a blender binding.  
  • Some fabrics look much busier in smaller pieces.  

Chaos Controlled with Twister Twin
I'm still not done with this color scheme.  I have already used the scraps from the scrap quilt and purchased some Ever After by Deb Strain (which adds pink to the mix).  


XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the fun parties on my sidebar (including Oh Scrap).  Check them out for lots of inspiration.

20 comments:

  1. Love the name of your quilt! With the addition of the sashing, it has become a quilt I can make! I must have some order in my quilts and the sashing provides that. So were your scraps already all these sizes or did you cut some to make them smaller?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name and love the quilt! I agree the sashing was needed to control and tame it down just a bit. And at the same time enchances the look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sashing really did pull the quilt in a different direction and add some much needed rest for the eyes. The red binding is fantastic and does help pull the reds out of the top. Congratulations on another beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooohhhh I really love your twister quilt! Kinda inspiring to see the same fabrics used in two very different ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to use up all those scraps. I discovered early that my quilt was getting a bit crazy. Rather than Sashing, I went with a large border. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you used the scraps and I agree that the black sashing and borders makes it easier on the eyes. I really like your twister quilt too. I have never made one of those but I think it's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fabulous! I really like the addition of the sashing to tone down the chaos and the red pop of the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Jasmine. I am really beginning to like red, gray, black and white together. It doesn't fit with my color scheme but it is quite attractive. Love your quilt and your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does look so much better with the blocks sashed, although I thought it looked great before too. Jasmine I didn't even know they made Mn=inky that wide. Chaos Controlled is the perfect name, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved it both ways but the sashing really did bring it together. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fantastic use of scraps! I like the blocks on the black, it helps each block feel more unique and draws the eyes around easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, I've been wanting to do a scrap vortex quilt, but have been a little afraid it would be too overwhelming, but with the sashing it really is controlled!!! great job

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, Jasmine! Controlled Chaos is awesome! I agree, Plan B does make those fabrics just pop right off of the quilt. And your mom's suggestion of red binding was absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing how you make the blocks. You know I have issues with scraps and this seems like a great way of making the vortex without falling in! I just love the looks of these quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "used scraps from the scrap quilt" bahaha, I love that phrase! Makes me feel better about the abundance, er over-abundance of scraps in my sewing room. I really like your idea of controlling the size too; I have a really good start on a scrap vortex, but so many different sizes, shapes (and colours) now that I'm afraid it's going to be UNcontrollable and utter chaos... So glad you went with the red binding--where is the shot of the back?? I want to see that Minky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder. I just added a picture of the back. :)

      Delete
  15. Those blocks look so handsome framed in the black sashing. And although I do like the black on black binding in your twister quilt... Your mom was right on the money when she suggested the red binding for this one. What a great big beautiful quilt! And it looks so pretty against that fresh snow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work, I like them both and love that red binding!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This quilt is an achievement in so many ways - it uses scraps from a scrap quilt; it is very modern; it is big and cuddly and oh so usable; and it looks gorgeous!!! Mission Accomplished :-) Kudos to you!!!
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!