Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Flannel Duo: A Finished Quilt


I am so pleased with how this quilt turned out.  It is a great stash busting quilt, using an old stack of flannel I was given years ago.  


This stack was mostly half yard cuts of fabric.  From sixteen of the fabrics I cut two eight inch strips.  One was for the front and one for the back.  Some of the half yard cuts were generous enough that I was able to cut a three inch strip for the binding.  I also cut three extra strips for the backing.

The front became a big plus quilt made from eight inch squares in sixteen different fabrics.


The backing was sewn together using my chunky race quilt calculations.  It has eighteen different fabrics.  A couple of the plaids were so big that I didn't want them on the front.


 Sixteen and a half strips were used for the main part, and then two more strips were added to the side to make the backing wider than the top.


It is important to have the backing bigger when quilting on a long arm machine.


Keeping with the stash busting, I used some old low/medium loft polyester batting which my mom had on hand.  While I don't like using polyester batting when sitting down to quilt, it wasn't too bad to use on the long arm.  I just had to be extra careful not to stretch it when I was rolling the quilt.

This process made for a fun, masculine, double sided quilt.  That is why I decided to name the quilt "Flannel Duo."  It really is as snugly as it looks and will be donated somewhere sometime this year.

I really love these big plus quilts.  I can piece one in a couple hours.


I also love the chunky race quilts.  I can piece and press one in less than two hours.


I planned it so the two sides would end up skinny.  That kept the seams all from lining up with the seams on the top and getting too thick.  I like how the stripes are vertical on the backing.

I quilted it in a loopy spiral in a light tan thread.


And used only blues for the binding.


It really was a fun, fast, stash busting quilt!


Quilt Stats #174
Name: Flannel Duo
Pattern Top: Plus quilt from eight inch squares
Pattern Back:  Race Quilt Variation
Fabric: Eighteen different flannels
Amount Used: 9 yards
Batting: Mountain Mist Polyester
Size: About 60 x 75 inches
Date Finished: January 2016
What I learned:
  • Double sided quilts are awesome!  
Next, I have more stash busting quilts to share.  

XX,
Jasmine

P.S.  I will be linking up with some of the parties on my sidebar.  Check them out to see what other quilters have been making.

13 comments:

  1. This quilt looks great! And I bet it is super snuggly. Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! Good for you using your stash!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your warm and cozy plus quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great quilt! And it looks so warm and cozy :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will get better with every washing!! I ned to make a plus quilt...love that it's stash buster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you got a great 2 sided quilt all from stash! Sure got me thinking about my pile of homespun plaids!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the best plus quilts I have seen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, Jasmine! This is fantastic! And it looks soooooo warm and cosy. I love the quilting; will have to try that design. I don't think you mentioned who gets this one and I so missed not seeing one of your boys on the floor enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great double sided finish. Looks so warm and snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That handsome quilt will be super snuggly and warm with the double flannel and a polyester batting. What a wonderful gift it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great manly quilt and the back is awesome too. I need to make a big plus quilt also, I love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to use up fabric and batting from your stash. I love that it is a double sided quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!