Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Nephew Quilts and More

I have three nephews getting married this year and one who got married last year before Kitty was born.  I have asked each of them what colors they would like for a wedding quilt.  They all asked for a variation of black and white.  I was in the mood to cut out quilts, so I started on them all at once.  The fact that they used some of the same fabrics definitely helped with that decision.  


This one is for C and K.  It was made following instructions from Simple Girl Simple Life found here.  


This one is for T and J who were married last year.  It is inspired by Canoe Ridge Creations' Sliced Cake Quilt.  She has provided a video tutorial for making her quilt, but I cut my pieces out at 4 x 10 inches because I was using stash and wanted a bigger quilt.  


This one is for T and S.  It is my own design inspired by the work of his favorite artist, Piet Mondrian.  


This one is for T and M.  It was inspired by a woodland baby quilt I saw on Etsy made by Jaded Spade Creations.  

By the time I had two quilt tops pieced and the other two cut out, I really needed some color.  So I pulled out my Kona White scraps and some rainbow 5 inch squares.  I borrowed my mom's AccuQuilt for the first time and cut out another lap quilt.  


I loved all the color and thought it was a great way to cut out the scraps of white fabric.  I didn't have to square it up or anything.  


I used the 2.5 inch square multiple die and my mom's Go! Big.  It was so much fun I decided to cut out another quilt with the AccuQuilt Machine.  


I had this pretty fabric for a long time.  (It is one of the fabrics my sister-in-law bought.)  I cut it into strips parallel to the selvage.  


Then I paired it with Kona White and ran it through the machine.  


I used the four inch finished half square triangle die.  I have heard that the AccuQuilt is amazing for making half square triangles and I wanted to try it out. 


Here are all the pieces waiting for me to sew the pinwheel blocks.  I think it will have a great colorwash look from just two fabrics.  

That is how I went from one work in progress to six in less than ten days.  

I will give more details on the wedding quilts as I finish each one.  But I have learned something from the experience of asking what colors they would like for their wedding quilt.  I still like making quilts in their favorite colors and combinations.  It just seems like there is a certain expectation for a "wedding quilt" and I feel a lot of pressure.  My original intent on making wedding quilts was to make a quilt for each of my nieces and nephews.  I have 49, yes forty-nine, nieces and nephews.  Making them quilts for their wedding seemed like a good way to logically spread out the making of niece and nephew quilts.  But now I am wondering if I should just make some "Aunt Jasmine loves you quilts" instead.  There seems to be less expectation for that.  Besides four out of my five oldest nephews are still single.  It doesn't seem fair that their younger cousins and siblings get an Aunt Jasmine quilt first.  

What do you do for wedding quilts or niece and nephew quilts?

XX,
Jasmine

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a lot of quilts to make. Your job is secure! The wedding quilts are very nice and I love the pop of red on two of them. The last two wedding quilts I have made were in neutrals - white, gray, cream. While they are very pretty, I can totally understand the need to play with some color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only have 2 nieces, so they got baby quilts, quilts when I think of them... in other words, they have a most excellent quilt fort capability already (and the oldest is 6 1/2 years old). Ah well! I think that an Aunt Jasmine love you quilt sounds like a really good idea, especially for your older niblings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all going to make fantastic wedding quilts, Jasmine! Several of my nieces and nephews have gotten wedding quilts. Some have gotten baby quilts. Quite a few of them haven't gotten any quilts, at all!! There's a definite divide in the family... quilt-worthy and not so much. (shrug)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I started quilting 10 years ago, I decided to start with my oldest niece/nephew and work down. I don't have 49! I made the mistake of asking the oldest nephew his favorite color - brown. I have NEVER asked that question again! I ask what three colors do you hate? I won't use those colors and anything else is fair game. I think sometimes an "I love you" gift means more than an "I need to give you a gift" quilt. I have given lots of graduation quilts and wedding quilts and they were all well received. But there was an added spark when someone received one just because - because don't we all like GOOD surprises?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, you are amazing. This makes me happy to see such beautiful results.
    The hst quilt is going to be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG that is a lot of quilts. But I know you love making them! You don't need the pressure so I think a 'just because' quilt is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So first of all all four of them are very striking but my favourite is your original design though. Yay for colour and yay for Accuquilt. You will fall in love with the HST die. I know I sure have and when I don’t use it it’s a PITA trimming.
    As for nieces and nephews quilts, I followed Judy of quilt paradigm and made them each a quilt in their favourite colour my own choice of design and I started with oldest to youngest. I only have four LOL on my side and we are only close with my husband’s brother on his side of the family so just three of them have gotten quilts.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!