Thursday, August 6, 2020

Hearts for Kitty


Right after the ultrasound when we found out Kitty would be a girl my husband took me to the quilt shop.  We found this darling pink heart minky on clearance and bought it for our baby girl.  


I planned to use it on the back of a baby quilt.  What could go on the front except more hearts?  I used the nine inch finished heart block from Cluck Cluck Sew because I could use some five inch scrap strips to make some hearts.  


I started with twelve hearts and could either add a border or more blocks to make it big enough.  More blocks won.  I tested out some more colors on the design wall.  


I liked it so I sewed them up.  


I chose an ombre layout and tested it in gray scale. 


Lets just say that there was frequent switching of blocks for a few days.  This is the layout I ended up liking the best.  After awhile I added the one inch finished sashing.  


Then it got loaded on the quilt frames.  I decided on simple stipple quilting, hoping that the hearts on the backing would still show.  


Most of the time I load minky on the frames with the selvages perpendicular to the roller bars.  This time I loaded the minky with the selvages along the bars.  I didn't realize how stretchy this minky was that way, so the edges rippled once I took it off the frames.  


Oh well, Kitty doesn't care.  The hearts made her happy.  (She really does like brightly colored fabric, just like her mama.)


I added a light pink cotton binding (late at night) and called it good enough.  


The hearts are hard to see on the back, but it is my hope that over time the quilting will sink into the plush minky and they will show some more.  



The quilt looks darling in Kitty's mostly pink bedroom.  


I am happy it is done and can be enjoyed by Kitty now.  


XX,
Jasmine

8 comments:

  1. So cute! I was thinking through how you load the minky because I have in the past had the same trouble. Thanks for sharing how you do it to not get the waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I also usually avoid the extra stretchy minky (like the dimpled kind). Plain minky is my favorite because it stretches less and shows the quilting more.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's a great tip about the best direction to load the minky, Jasmine. I can still see the hearts and my guess is they will show more as the quilt gets used and loved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE-ly way to finish off Kitty's room, Jasmine!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely adorable, Jasmine! Makes me want to make some hearts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitty sure isn't going to run out of quilts! And my how fast she is growing:) Nicely done Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well in my humble opinion you can see the hearts on the Minky just fine! I love everything about this quilt: finding out Kitty was a girl and going straight to the quilt store, finding the Minky that is perfect, the hearts which are a favourite block of mine (and we’ve talked about our heart quilts) to seeing her on her quilt. Sometimes I think we need to get over ourselves where ‘perfection’ is concerned. The love, happiness and joyous colour in this quilt, not to mention the REASON for the quilt, are perfect and that’s all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need little heart reactions like on Instagram for this one. The quilt is absolutely darling, as is Kitty.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!