Thursday, August 20, 2020

My Sister's Fifth Quilt


This quilt is for my sister's fourteen year old son.  He loves teal and purple.  I sent my sister some pictures of quilts which used some of those colors for some ideas.  He ended up loving one of the quilts that I pieced for Cheetah's Eagle Scout Project.  


He especially loved how the colors blended in to each other.  My sister and I decided to make the squares bigger and add another fabric.  I drafted it out and we went shopping.  We cut it out at my place and she sewed it at hers.  She loved how simple and fast the quilt was to piece. 



Each of the squares were cut out at eight inches.  In a half yard of fabric we were able to get ten squares.  She added a five inch finished border to make it a little bigger.  

We showed her son some examples of my quilting and he picked the double loop design.  


I think it is great for a masculine quilt.  I have done it on a quilt for Cheetah and another nephew.  


I had a lot of fun quilting it on the Bernina Q24.  


Because the design was so large it quilted up very fast.  


My sister chose a Diagonal Dots wide backing for the quilt.  She loved that she didn't have to piece the backing this time.  


I trimmed the quilt and added the binding as well.  


When Kitty saw the quilt on the floor, she begged to try it out.  So she was the first quilt tester.  


I love how this quilt turned out, and I know my nephew is excited to have a handmade quilt.  


This is a full size quilt, but I decided to test it out on Cheetah's queen size bed.  


I love how the large squares (7.5 inches finished) look on his bed.  I may have to make a similar quilt for him.  His two favorite colors are pink and purple.  I haven't made a quilt for him in those colors before.  

Now that I have finished this and Mischelle's quilt, I'm ready to start finishing the four wedding quilts.  

XX,
Jasmine

5 comments:

  1. It looks so beautiful on the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks great on Cheetah's bed and I'm sure your nephew is going to love it. Have fun with the wedding quilts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a perfect example of how nice a simple quilt design can be. I'm sure your nephew will love his new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing one can use the simplest pattern and make it into a beauty. The colors are wonderful. So fun that you have a quilting sister:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are stunning colours together Jasmine. I think it looks fantastic on Cheetah’s bed. I have never done that double loop so I will have to give it a try in the near future.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!