Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Sea Glass Quilt


This quilt is made from the leftovers and scraps of one of my mom's quilts.  I started sewing the triangles as leaders and enders, but that didn't last long.  


I divided the large half square triangles into separate color ways.  Then I was really curious if there were enough of the green, teal, and blue triangles to make a whole lap quilt.  These are big HST and are squared up at eight inches.  


I realized that if I left some blocks as plain background squares and added a border that there would be enough.  


The quilt top sat for a couple weeks while I worked on other projects.  I decided to name it Sea Glass because that is what the colors reminded me of.  

One day when my mom was sewing with me she kept saying how much she loved the fabrics.  She also said how happy it made her to see them all together.  So I decided to give the quilt to her.  She provided some off white minky for the backing.  While she was on a trip celebrating her 58th wedding anniversary, I quilted it on the long arm.  


I decided to try floppy freehand feathers.  They are kind of big, but my blocks are big.  


I am pleased with how they turned out for my first time quilting them on the long arm.  I did the binding for my mom too.  It was leftover backing from another one of her quilts.  


Another day I was able to take some better pictures inside.  






My parents came to our house for dinner the day after they got back from their trip and I was able to give my mom the quilt.  She loves it!


I hope to finish up the other color way into a quilt or two next year.  

XX,
Jasmine

2 comments:

  1. What a fun surprise to have ready to gift her after she returned from her anniversary trip! I think the floppy feather quilting looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a sweet daughter! I can't believe how many quilts you have shown us since you returned to blogging, wow I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!