Monday, December 12, 2022

Christmas Bear Star


My mom bought the fabric for this quilt over 25 years ago.  She never got around to working on it, so earlier this year I asked her if I could have it.  She sweetly gave it to me and I came up with my own pattern.  I feel like this is a modern traditional quilt.  I liked the look of some wonky star quilts, but didn't want to make it wonky.  I was inspired by Cluck Cluck Sew's No Point Stars and decided to combine the two ideas into one pattern.  

I first cut apart all the bear fabric into blocks.  It looked very country. I had 40 bears.


I used the 5.5 inch AccuAuilt square die to cut out the bears.  I marked the diagonals and tried to line up the corners.  The fabric wasn't always printed square, but my pieces are square.  I actually sewed the quilt together with a 3/8 inch seam allowance to make sure that you couldn't see any of the skinny heart border.  


Here are my first four stars.


Over the next few days I sewed star points whenever I got a chance in between taking care of kids, decorating, cooking, and life.


I originally wanted to have the bears face every which way.  We frequently lay quilts sideways on the sofa.  However, my husband and Cheetah vetoed that.


All the bears face the same way now.


I quilted it on the Bernina Q24 with a red minky backing.


I decided to quilt with a simple stipple because I wanted to quilt around most of the bears' faces.


It is bound in the red fabric from the stars.


I actually finished it in the afternoon.


The light was still pretty so I quickly laid it on the sofa for a picture.


My family loves this quilt.  


Can you believe I am now only two weeks behind in my blogging?  I still hope to catch up by the end of the year.

XX,
Jasmine

4 comments:

  1. What a cute Christmas quilt! I love the way you made the bocks into the stars. Great finish!!! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a more traditional coloring to the bear fabric, but you sure made it into a modern Christmasy vibe. Love the stars off set a bit like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've covered a lot of ground in the past few months of blogging. This is a really lovely quilt and so perfect for Christmas. So you sewed the star points with 3/8" seams, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used over-sized squares for stitch and flip corners to create the star points. For each of my 5.5 inch unfinished background squares I used two 3.5 inch squares. That way no points were lost when sewing with a 3/8 inch seam. It also makes the stars look like they are holding hands. I love the overlap.

      Delete

I love reading your thoughts, and I try to respond to every comment through email. I hope you will consider leaving one. If you are unable to leave a comment, you are welcome to email me at quilt dot kisses at gmail dot com.

Comments are now moderated on posts more than seven days old so that I don't miss any. Thanks!